Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I reread the original post. So you are not using tap water that's good however have you tested the water from lfs? I was using my own rodi water and had vert low nitrates yet my phosphates were booming so I would suggest gfo and a gfc if you want.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparKy697 View Post
Ok, you are going to have to explain that one. Please share exactly what in that picture tells you that he has high phosphate.
The hair algae. 9 times out of 10 equals high phosphates.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ghostknife. Thanks for the reply. Hadn't considered testing water from lfs. Will do. Also, since you are suggesting ferric oxide as a solution, I am assuming that it won't harm anything in my tank. Will read up on it to get educated a bit more.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Thanx but no.....

Get your water tested first. Specifically ask for a phosphate and nitrate test. Don't spend the money on GFO until you confirm your phosphate level. Do you run activated carbon in your filter? What kind of food do you feed?

BTW: that daylight coming in all day is going to be a major contributor.

Also. BRS doesn't make GFO. They import it from the sole manufacturer for the aquarium industry (possibly the sole manufacturer w/ the patent I think) in Germany. Sometime ago I posted the company who had just been sold to a bigger conglomerate.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay well I dont care where it comes from but its darn good stuff. It cured up my hair algae in no time and I continuously run it in a media bag in my sump. I have had no problems and it does not harm your tank to run it all the time. In fact its a good thing to keep your phosphates low. REALLY GOOD+++ I would run GFO no matter what and maybe some activated carbon that will keep your levels of phosphate low with the GFO. If you plan on having SPS itd be a good idea too. Just some of my thoughts and I am having success. I was on my phone earlier and could not go into detail.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
are you testing your own water or letting your lfs test it? sometimes your lfs will lie to you about your water quality in hopes you will purchase something from them with a false hope of good WATER QUALITY. i have experienced this first hand.

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, control, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com