Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hair algae out out of control

Ok. Hello all. I am attaching a pic of my 34gal red sea max aquarium. As you can see, I have lots of good things going on in it. Unfortunately, the hair algae has been nothing short of a "thorn in my side." I use R/o water from the lfs. All tests check out ok. Use nano reef a/b. Have more than 20 snails, as well as a sea urchin recently added. My rabbitfish does a good job keeping the Macro down, but I have grown overly frustrated with the fact that I can't get rid of the hair. My lights run approx 8hrs/day. Fish get fed every day(which I know might me a little too often). And thats about it. Can anyone provide me any good solution to this issue? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2523.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	18993  

Old 05-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I feed every other day and sometimes even skip a day.
What are your water parameters exactly? "OK" is definitely not the case here if you have hair algae and cyano (the purple stuff) starting to grow on the bottom.
What/how much are you feeding?
How old are your bulbs?
You may want to invest the $150 in your own RO/DI, that way you know what/when you need to change the media.
I really like the scaping, by the way!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Somebody is going to ask you for exact water params. so I'll ask you now... What are they?

My experience with hair algae was that you have to remove it with your hand as much as you can. Do water changes religiously. Cut way back on the feedings. I did every third day. A phosban reactor is not a bad idea either.

I actually started to think that there was something in my live rock that was feeding the algae... Never proved that to be true or not.

Good luck and keep up with the pwc. It will die back but it does not happen over night.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
how close is your tank to natural sunlight when i first started i had my tank near a window and that natural sunlight made the alage hair impossible to control
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks

Thanks to all for your responses. To answer your questions, I dont know the exact water parameters due to the fact that I am in the military and am in Kansas, while my wife is babysitting my tank back in Georgia. She is managing it as best she can with guidance from me and the lfs. Tank is right across room from sliding glass door, with light coming in nearly all of the day (I considered this being a contributer to the algae, but just don't have a lot of other options for placement).My previous tank was in the same location though, and I didnt have this hair algae problem. As far as age of the bulbs: the whole tank assembly was purchased and set up february this year. I think they should be good. I will begin by having her cut back on the feedings as well as removing as much of the hair algae as she can. We'll see where that leads us. And thanks for the comments on the scaping.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure of the kind of urchin you introduced,... but I had a royal urchin that would tear that up. Also a blue legged hermit would get all over it too but beware... he would go fishing literally once in a while so you have to watch them.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Read this

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control"

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just from looking at the tank... right now I am 80% sure you have a high phosphate problem. Are you using and ferric oxide? Fluval or Bulk Reef Supply GFC will cure you right up over a period of time.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostKnife View Post
Just from looking at the tank... right now I am 80% sure you have a high phosphate problem. Are you using and ferric oxide? Fluval or Bulk Reef Supply GFC will cure you right up over a period of time.
Ok, you are going to have to explain that one. Please share exactly what in that picture tells you that he has high phosphate.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The hair algae. For starters if the tank is being ran with tap water there is for sure nitrate and phosphate in the water. In my experience with fresh and saltwater tanks 9 times out of 10 hair algae is a sign of high phosphates. The best way to remove hair algae is by use of a feric oxide. Bulk reef supply makes a great gfo. General feric oxide

Tags
algae, control, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com