Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hair algae problem

Tank has been up an running for about 9 months and just this past month I've been starting to see some hair algae growth, what could I do to get rid of this nasty stuff?
I've heard of using emerald crabs(I think that's the right crab) but I've heard that they sometimes harass fish as I have a small yellow watchman that would be an easy and available target for him. Any other ideas?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not sure about emerald crabs eating it, but I heard sea hares and lettuce nudibranches can eat hair algae. That's one of the only things they eat though, so unless you can buy a sea hare/nudi, let it get rid of the algae, then trade it back to wherever you bought it you'll need to supplement it's diet.

Be warned that both can release toxins when stressed, so running charcoal in your tank might be a good idea if you get one.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never seen a sea hate or a nudi for sale at any of my 3 lfs! Haha should I just flip the rock over so no light gets to it?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

An emerald crab or any other critter would be covering up your problem. You using RO/DI? What is your feeding schedule like? I had a massive hair algae outbreak when I was feeding my corals. I battled it off, over about a month, by stopping my feeding of corals, reducing my fish's feedings to once a week, continuing weekly PWC with RO/DI, adding a TDS meter to my ro/di, and added an algae blenny to my tank who munched away what I couldn't manually remove.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Scarlet reef hermits will eat hair algae, they have really bright red legs and yellow eyes. Black sailfin blenny will also eat it.

Agree that you do need to find the source of it too, though.

Good luck!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
An emerald crab or any other critter would be covering up your problem. You using RO/DI? What is your feeding schedule like? I had a massive hair algae outbreak when I was feeding my corals. I battled it off, over about a month, by stopping my feeding of corals, reducing my fish's feedings to once a week, continuing weekly PWC with RO/DI, adding a TDS meter to my ro/di, and added an algae blenny to my tank who munched away what I couldn't manually remove.
No I do not use RO/DI water for top-offs. It is just RO. You know like those things you attach to the faucets to purify it for drinking water?
I feed everynight. I don't target feed any of my corals, I have a wall hammer colony, a few mushrooms and a tube anenome. My fish are 2 Ocellaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby. With no more than 10 snails and no more than 10 hermits. This is a 20 gallon tank. I do a 20% PWC weekly
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh but water changes are RO/DI
Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Oh, this is simple then. You are feeding too much. Cut back to every other day and manually remove as much algae as you can prior to your PWC. You'll start to see results after a week. It'll take awhile before you win the war against it, just be patient. Be careful though, when it starts to starve it will turn yellow and fall apart. You need to remove as much of it as you can if it does this. I didn't get to it in time in my tank and the mass die off fueled another algae bloom.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay so thats it? Every other night? Should I do the same with my 75 gallon?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just bought a lawn mower blenny to clean up the problem and I'm going to switch to feeding every other night!

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com