Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
hair algae question (update)

OK here goes...

I got a small hair algae problem. NOt bad really just on one rock and alittle on the substrate, it hasn't spread and its been there over a week. Just an eyesore. All my water parameters are in line with what they should be. This tank is only a month old and the coraline is starting to take off. My question is this. I have a mollie breeding tank that never ever has algae cause they eat it quicker than it could grow. I wanna take 2 2 month dalmation mollies(about 1 inch in length) and aclimate them over 6-8 hours to the saltwater then but them in the tank and let them go to town on the algae.

Has anybody tried this?

Old 03-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting post on the subject: Saltwater Mollies

Good luck with that hair algae. Have you identified the source of the fuel for this? That's your best bet for overcoming it long term.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Isnt a Mollie a fresh water fish? How could you do that to a poor fishy?

I like my lawnmower blenny, he chows on my hair algae.

I also like hair algae, I think it is really cool, and PRETTY! Yes thats right! I said it, I like it!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl

Good luck with that hair algae. Have you identified the source of the fuel for this? That's your best bet for overcoming it long term.
I think there is something very wrong with taking a fresh water fish and making them salt water fish... it seems like you are messing with nature. When you mess with nature, God only knows what could go wrong!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

mollies are actually brackish water lovers. BUt you can acclimate them over a period of 8 hours to be fresh or Saltwater, with no harm to the fish.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm bumping this....I know some of your seasoned vets got some good do's and don'ts to this....
Old 03-23-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
Smo
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPloman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl

I think there is something very wrong with taking a fresh water fish and making them salt water fish... it seems like you are messing with nature. When you mess with nature, God only knows what could go wrong!
Even though this is my first post, I am no N00b to this Mollie thing.
Back in the day we use to cycle our salt tanks with black mollies. Sure, they are freshwater, but they love SW and will breed like rabbits in it.
Back in the early 80's, I used 20 black mollies to cycle my new DSB in a 90 gal SW setup. The mollies loved the SW and none died. After about 2 months for a full cycle, I had returned to the fish store 90 mollies. I received store credit for the extra 70 I had given them, after cycling through my SW tank of course, and have been addicted ever since!

If your mollies are eating the algae, then I see no reason not to acclimate them and place in SW for this purpose. Just beware of parental contols, you may not have any in a SW setup!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I, too, have heard many stories about the use of mollies in SW. I just don't want to have to catch them at the end of the day ...

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
What are your nitrates and PO4 levels? Something is fueling the algae.
What are your feeding habits?
A better solution would be to find the source of the algae.
Quote:
I got a small hair algae problem. NOt bad really just on one rock and alittle on the substrate,
With a young tank, this is not unusual. In a mature tank even some algae is to be expected. FWIW
Quote:
This tank is only a month old and the coraline is starting to take off
Eventually, it you keep your water quality high and conditions right for the coraline. It may start to outcompete the hair algae somewhat.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for all the good input. Here is an update..lol

My wife aclimated the 2 small mollies while I was at work today. She started at about 9:00am. By the time I got off work the water they were in was at the same salinity as the sw tank by 10:00pm. She sis it with a small bucket and a turkey baster about 2 oz out and 3 oz in every 30 minutes. Put the little guys in the tank and they were swimming around looking good when the problem started. The yellow damsel was POed. An hour later the poor little guys had 1/2 a rear fin. We took them back out. They are now being aclimated to FW agian. But I have to say the little boogers have never acted strangly throughout the whole process.

ON a side note I will never agian listen to anyone that says damsels are peaceful fish!!!

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com