Hair algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G1203

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is they're any fish/invert that eats hair algae? Starting to get it and want to get rid of it before it starts.

I had it before when tank was few months old. Thing I done was remove it by pinching it and take out of water and rinse fingers, till its all gone then ur cuc should keep it at bay and just do more wc for few wks and should go away

Is they're any fish/invert that eats hair algae? Starting to get it and want to get rid of it before it starts.

I put a kole tang in and it was gone in a few days ,
75lbs cleaned in a few days .

It's better to find the reason for your hair algae than a quick fix solution through a fish or invert.. What is your filtration, lighting and feeding schedule like? Those could the main reasons for your problem

I completely agree on finding the source of the problem first.... But when I had hair algae I added a phosphate reactor, cheato in my fuge and added a cleanup crew (blue leg hermits, Bertie snails, and a few random snails/hermits) and my hair algae was gone in two days. I had a bad case of it too. That was months ago and it never came back. So if you're lacking any one of these, is add them. My nitrates were reading zero but I knew that had to be false.

I completely agree on finding the source of the problem first.... But when I had hair algae I added a phosphate reactor, cheato in my fuge and added a cleanup crew (blue leg hermits, Bertie snails, and a few random snails/hermits) and my hair algae was gone in two days. I had a bad case of it too. That was months ago and it never came back. So if you're lacking any one of these, is add them. My nitrates were reading zero but I knew that had to be false.

I was told "
Even phosphates will read 0 and constantly read as
0 as they rise a algae bloom would be the first indication of phosphates .

What you feed them, like intended. Nuisance algaes can overwhelm and destroy entire systems. You don't want to use them as a good source. Algae blenny eat hair algae, but will feed on other algae, nori, and bloodworms as an example.

I feed 1 to 2 times a day (if needed) and I have a canister filter (soon to be upgraded) and my lights are on for 12 hours

DON'T buy an fish/invert to fix it! Most likely it won't work! I learned the hard way... Sea Hare ($50), lasted 1week, still plenty of hair algae after he passed so don't know what happened. lawmower Benny/algae Benny ($25) wouldn't touch it! And now have a green emerald ($10) in my sump because he preferred to eat my corals instead of the hair algae! I agree with everything listed above, cut back lights & feeding. Do weekly water changes, maker sure to blow off your rocks too! And pick it out when you can. I've used old water and a toothbrush on some of the bad rocks (out of the tank!) and that's helped. Good luck be patient. :) highly recommend finding the source.

Back
Top Bottom