Hairy mushroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
My hairy mushroom coral is not looking so good.

Before picture

image-273001994.jpg

Now picture

image-618085834.jpg

Anyone know why?

Both your ammonia and nitrites are high, especially your nitrites which are very high. Also, your pH is a bit low which probably means your alkalinity is low as well. Have you tested your alk yet?

Your salinity is also a bit too low.

Until you get the ammonia and nitrites under control it's likely that they will kill your mushroom. What else do you have in the tank? How long has your tank been set up? What is your water change schedule?

Just did a 10% water change. Nitrites are somewhere close to 0ppm, so maybe .5ppm now. Ammonia still looks about .10ppm. For the part about what I have in the tank do you mean what fish?

Is the tank cycled or did you add a ton of stuff at once? You shouldn't see ammonia or nitrites once you are cycled, pretty poisonous stuff to livestock and quite stressful... If not deadly.

If the tank has been running for years, I'd be concerned about what caused that spike. Big die off, lots of livestock added at once, over feeding, or detritus buildup maybe?

I don't know why in there's a spike in the ammonia and nitrites, I have not a huge amount of livestock at once. Although I did have a fish die about a month or two ago, but I don't think that would cause a huge spike.

Back
Top Bottom