haitian anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tedge

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What clownfish best suits this anemone? What is the best care for this anemone? Why does my anemone looks great majority of the time, and then sometimes it looks dead?

Anemones will cycle where they are open and full, and at other times they will be closed and look bad.

Can you post a pic of the anemone, or give a scientific name? I am unfamiliar with a Venetian anemone.

What clownfish best suits this anemone?

Still not sure what anemone you have...but I'm gonna say none. There are no host anemones indigenous to the Atlantic. You can try either a Clarkii or a Tomato, IME they will take to anything, real anemone hussies.

What is the best care for this anemone?

Strong light, good water quality, let it move to where it is happy and feed a few times per week (large meaty foods ie; krill, silversides, etc...).

LMAO, I just reread the title of this thread, for some reason my dyslexia kicked in the first time I read it (or you edited to make me look stupid :mrgreen: , don't worry it's not hard and doesn't require an edit). The Hatian tip is Conylactus gigantea, the above post covers what you wanted.

Hold the silverside in your fingers and give it to them right in the mouth. It will curl up around it and suck it in.

Use gloves ... for one... Our hands have "crap" like lotion and soaps on them... and two... Anemones sting! I for one don't want to find out how painful that can be... My Clown ... hee hee... feeds the anemone himself sometimes....

Use gloves ... for one... Our hands have "crap" like lotion and soaps on them... and two... Anemones sting!
You are telling us that you never put your hands in your tank? That is cool..I am a hands on kind of person. I don't use gloves to wash dishes.

How did you put the anemone in the tank, drop it in?

While I agree with the gloves for some of the corals and such, have you ever tried to handle an anemone with rubber gloves? I did once, and it slithered right away from me. Very Slimy.

I make sure I rinse my hands under hot water and then cold for a while before ever putting them in my tank. I do know that while anemones sting the inhabitants in the tank, They have never hurt me..matter of fact, not even a tingle. Now that is not to say that someone is not allergic, I am not going to put the message out there that anemones sting and we can't handle them. It isn't true in my book.

I went to the grocery store and bought those bamboo skewers(look like big toothpicks) I put the krill on the end of it and stick down near the Condy and it takes it right off the stick. :D

Weather i'm feeding the anemone a feeder fish or kryll i just use the net that i put the food in and just let it float for a minute until it decides to sink, then guide it in with the net. You'd be amazed at how much these things can extend when they sense food within their reach.

-Dan

Back
Top Bottom