half and half? anyone try?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phish7740

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 100gal fowlr. 60" which can hold 2 24" lights
if i put all my LR to the right side on sand
and leave the left side open with CC
and put a MH on the right above the 80# of live rock
and reg floursence on the left

questions has anyone ever done this...will it work?

can one have half reef and half fish by having two differnt lights on the same tank?

You would have to choose your livestock very carefully. I had thought about this, for when I build a huge tank, but it seems there were not really any interesting combos that I was happy with, ie; the fish I wanted would either eat the corals or eachother.

I don't think it will look good. It will look like you have burned out bulbs on one side of the tank, and not that it was intentionally lit different.

Agree with ryan.. I also think it will look off.
You can put the MH in the center and have other lighting in the tank to give the whole tank light. Corals in the center and corals that require less light can go on the ends.

i havent thought about in the center prob because i dont want to hang the light from the celing or wall, i dont have a cabinet on top nor do i want to build one (dont like the look of them) so i have been looking at 60" T5 with legs.

anyway...i think i found the light that will give me soft corals which is the T5 6x80 = 480 watts. from what i have researched about t5s this should provide ample lighting for this tank.

thanks

I plan on doing a MH light in the center of the tank and maybe two strips of T5's/actinic running the length of the tank front and back. I think that would give some good color and light. This is the plan for the 75 gallon.

I have seen variatiations of this but the transition between MH and NO lights would be drastic. It would be all about looks though. What one person dislikes, another might.

Depending on the depth of the tank, you might not be able to have much of anything under the NO lights though.

Back
Top Bottom