Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Halide lighting, with or without glass

Just a question. How many of you run your halides with a uv filtering glass lens/plate/window/etc between your lights and your tank? And if you run them in a canopy, how exactly are you accomplishing this?

Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The glass on most single-ended MH bulbs is UV shielded, so you do not need a shield for those types. I do have a piece of acrylic between my bulb and tank to prevent splashing and lower the heat transfer a bit.

I bought a kit with a reflector, mount, ballast, and bulb, then built an acrylic enclosure to fit around it. I added 4 computer fans to evacuate the hot air.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have HQI sun replicator pendants so the glass is build into the fixture. A canopy with them would be easy. The only thing you would have to do is add cooling fans.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I had a bit of a pendant mishap... was doing a pwc and my crocea clam squirted the halide!! Can we say POP PSST!!! Scared the crap out of me, this was the first time I've ever had that happen. Usually the clam just closes up and waits for the water to come back. Not this time! I can't exactly move the clam either, it's pretty well welded in place on the top of my reef. Since then I slid the uv glass back on.

Tags
glass, halide, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com