Halide not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
Probably a stupid question but I bought an Aquaeuro 34gal tank a few months back and I went to turn the lights on and the LEDs worked but the halide didn't. They are both on the same power source, so I'm wondering if the bulb could've burnt out already? I have no clue how long they last but I'm thinking 4 months is not a very long time.

It's either the bulb, the ballast or a loose connection. The bulb should light for at least a year at 12 hours a day, although the intensity will have degraded. The first thing I'd do in your situation is try the bulb in another fixture if you can find someone who has one that takes the same bulb.

Try tightening the bulb first by loosening a little bit first (counter clockwise) and retightening it back. I have 28 gal AquaEuro and same thing happened to mine.

In a wet environment the contacts on the bulb and fixture can corrode a bit. Unplug the fixture, remove the bulb and using some abrasive like fine sandpaper or steel wool, clean both the bulb and the inside of the socket. Do this away from the aquarium. Blow all the debris out (especially if you use steel wool!) and reassemble. If it still doesn't light, it is the ballast or the bulb is burnt. If you have a meter, you can check the ballast, but be careful.

We think its the fuse. Easy to replace so well try that first. Of it still doesn't work then ill go the other route. Thanks guys! Hope my angler isn't too upset. It was his feeding day today. :(

If it's really the fuse, be cautious cause there is a reason why it blows. As Greg mentioned, salt water residue can accumulate at the bulb socket and must be cleaned. There is a possibility that it is shorting out or if not at the socket it could be your ballast due to overheating.

Ok so I'll clean out near the bulb anyway. Would there be any buildup though if the bulb is encased? It's got a plastic covering that's flush with plastic that is bolted into the hood of the tank. I'm not home so I can't take a picture right now or look at it closely myself to see. And if the ballast shorted or broke would my LEDs still be ok? Because they are connected to it (different fuse though).

LED has a separate power but they could share same fuse. You should be able to see the socket when replacing the bulb. If it is clean then most likely it is your ballast. If the bulb is burned out you would be able to see the broken filament inside since it is transparent. If the ballast is bad the fan should at least be working after replacing fuse if there is one.

Ok so the LEDs are on a separate strip. So I was thinking the ballast was shot. BUT I bought a pack a 4 fuses for $3 and low and behold, problem solved! I'm so happy. Thanks everyone for the responses. Happy it wasn't the bulb because it was $80. I'm so happy ill post a pic of my tank. Lol. My angler is "sleeping" so you can't see him but you get the idea. Thanks again!

Attachments

• image-1506759649.jpg
    image-1506759649.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom