Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Halogen, is it feasible?

Is there any reason why a halogen bulb cannot be used in an aquarium situation? Reasons such as the type of light, the algae it may/maynot produce, danger to the fish,coral, whatevers?

It seens to me that a bulb with that kind of strength should be useable in some fashion. Just to see how it looked, I picked up a 300 watt halogen utility light. The grand bill for the whole thing was $24.00, 200 hour bulb life expectancy, replacement bulbs would run 4.00 each. I could have gone with the 500 watt system that was similar, it was cheaper, but I felt the way this one was set up would make it easier to modify into a hood if all this is not just a stupid idea. I had thought that 2 halogen bulbs and then some actinic would achieve the same results as some of the other lighting I had seen for way more money.

Stop me if I should not be considering this

Old 09-08-2002, 09:28 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
From what I understand the specitrum is way wrong on the halogen lights.

In a reef tank its not just the intensity of the light but the specitrum of the light. Have a lot of watts at the wrong specitrum is just as bad as having to few watts at the correct specitrum.

I personally prefer lights in the 10K spectrum combined with actinic blubs.

If your 150 gal tank is deeper than say 24" I feel the only route your gonna have is MH's.

Remember the corals life in the tropics and have the sun as directly overhead as you can get for several hours a day. Of course if you go with just a fish only setup then all the light you need would be light that would allow you to enjoy your fish.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:33 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Spectrum aside, halogen lights have a very narrow beam. They are used for spot lights and high intensity lighting in display cases. They have been used in deep, planted, freshwater tanks but I don;t think they would be suitable for SW. Since you already have the light I'm sure you have tried it out. What did it look like? Yellow? Did actinic help to balance it out?

After further investigation, I think the problem is power consumption and heat. Here's an informative link that answers your question in detail. http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/halogen.html#5

Mark
Old 09-11-2002, 09:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
IMO the Spectrum is fine.

The major problem is the heat output. Place your hand about 6" away from it and you will understand.

Another result of the heat is inefficiency. That 300 watt Halogen puts out about the same amount of light as a 65 watt PC.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy
IMO the Spectrum is fine.
If by "fine" you mean it will work, I agree. The animals don't care at all about the spectrum. Though it will work, it will look very, very yellow. I have one of these I use as a work light. Awful color!

Quote:
The major problem is the heat output. Place your hand about 6" away from it and you will understand.
I doubt that you could fit enough fans in a hood to keep these things cool.

Quote:
Another result of the heat is inefficiency. That 300 watt Halogen puts out about the same amount of light as a 65 watt PC.
Halogen bulbs are only slightly more efficient than incandescent bulb, and much less efficient than ordinary fluorescent tubes.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Jacob Morgan Send a message via MSN to Jacob Morgan Send a message via Yahoo to Jacob Morgan
IMO i think its several things. First teh spectrum I asked bout using these WAY back.. also teh Heat.. not to mention the bulbs break with slightest moisture (I.E. touching with ure hand) let alone sitting above a fish tank. .yes there suppost to be watertight, but our lights for our outside sign at our business blew like crazy.. so who knows..

I really think if they were useable every1 would have them ther dirt cheap as well.... IMO its not eve possible.. let alone to escape teh Heat u have them so far away from the tank that the intesnity of the light would die down :-/...

Jacob

Tags
halogen

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com