Hamilton Metal Halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hammerandy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had 175 metal halides from Hamilton for 4 years both 175 were magnetic ballast. Noise, heat and power are the downside. Well one blows, talk about stinking up the house. I order a replacement in March electronic ballast. First it causes interference in all the TV's so I call. And the Tech's response is, "that is true". Nothing else. Then it blew last week while I was on vacation. 4 months old 8 hours a day. Someone tell me is this common place, should I go back to magnetic ballast, is it the brand or just keep quiet and quit bitching? I have compacts that I have had up for 6 years from the same company with no problems

I have no idea how hamilton ballasts are as for reliability, it has been my experience that they make a decent product, but who knows. I think if there are issues besides the reliability of the ballast, I might go back to magnetic ballasts...but this is from soneone that has always used magnetic ballasts :D I definitely would not quit complaining, 4 months is not acceptable and it should be replaced at the very least.

True, I would complain to them also. Ballasts should last years not months, magnetic or otherwise. Couple of questions?

Are thesae ballasts can ballasts? Everything enclosed.

Do they have enough ventilation to keep them from overheating?

I personally use Advance Ballasts. the F-can type for my lights. I use them regularly at work so naturally I use them for my tank lights also. I have experienced zero problems with them to date.

Mike

Hamilton lighting

No they have a lot of air movement. They are in a 10 foot long 6 foot wide closet with vent fan and a regular fan. Room never gets above 78 F.
I have used the Magnet ballast for 3 years before the first one burned out and the have agreed to replace it. But it is like a step back to use magnetic ballast, kind of like using a tube radio vs transitors. But the electronic cause line to go across all of our TV's. Just wandering if anyone else has had this TV Problem with electronic ballast lighting. I think I will take a magnetic ballast and try to bust them to give me a couple of free bulbs for downgrading the system.

Thanks,
Randy

tube radio vs transitors.

Not such a bad thing. Some of the older stuff was better than the new fangled crap.

But the electronic cause line to go across all of our TV's.

Could be harmonics in the line. Doubt it though. Have you tried filtering the TV signal yet? Also, check to make sure you have a good ground. Old wiring in the older homes seem to have a problem with that.

HTH

Mike

This addition was built in 1995. i had ground faults put in for the tank when i built this room for the 125 gallon tank. thanks
Randy

Back
Top Bottom