Hammer coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triggersgalore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any info on the hammer coral I think they are awesome and someday would like to get one:) thanks!

Any info on the hammer coral I think they are awesome and someday would like to get one:) thanks!

Definitely an awesome coral. Mine likes low flow and moderate light. Keep it away from other corals, they have a nasty sting.

Where would I place him? Sand bed?

I'd definitely start it on the sand and acclimate it to your lights. If the coral is happy there it's polyps will be out, if it isn't it will be receeded into it's skeleton. You can place it on your rocks as well just don't hit it with a lot of flow, mine has it's polyps like very gently flowing and is super happy. The coral will let you know if it likes where you put it.

hammer, frogspawn, and torch corals are from the euphyllia family. i never feed mine. actually, it doesn't take any food at all (maybe i'm lucky that way). as long as you provide sufficient light, feeding is optional

hammer, frogspawn, and torch corals are from the euphyllia family. i never feed mine. actually, it doesn't take any food at all (maybe i'm lucky that way). as long as you provide sufficient light, feeding is optional
what lighting do you use?

Ok I have t5HO 6 bulb 3 blue 3 white tank 24 inches deep. Is that good enough?

Ok I have t5HO 6 bulb 3 blue 3 white tank 24 inches deep. Is that good enough?

oh certainly. i don't think you would need that many tho. also hammer is not as demanding as SPS, so any medium light with moderate flow will do. not to mention that hammer is really hardy IME

This is mine. It's 15+ yrs old and never been target fed. I would put it on your rocks as mine has always been on top of the rocks at mid level of the tank. Started off the size of a baseball and now the size of a basketball.

208559_195321880504365_5600908_n.jpg

Ok I have two 36 inch fixtures on my 8 foot tank and there is a dark spot in the middle. Any advice?

and if i were you, i would do 2 blues and 4 whites in the future in case you're going the SPS route

You may have better growth for sps with this but the color will be worse, I'd go with 3 of each to keep the sps colors nice. That is if you want sps

This is mine. It's 15+ yrs old and never been target fed. I would put it on your rocks as mine has always been on top of the rocks at mid level of the tank. Started off the size of a baseball and now the size of a basketball.
that things amazing.

Back
Top Bottom