Hammer Coral Cant get happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok after my first Hammer coral went south fast it was replaced with yet another hammer coral.. I acclimated it and placed it into the tank.. It is in the direct middle of the tank with about Medium flow.. I put him him about 4pm pst yesterday and as of 12pm pst today he has yet to open up.. I am not Understanding this.. It is the only Coral I have had an issue with besides an elegance.. Please help as I really dont want another to go south on me.. At the LFS he was under 400watt MH bulbs and looked awesome... I have as well enclosed a pic of my full tank so that Placement can be shown.. All Advice wanted

TIA,
James

BTW I do Have another 200gph powerhead laying around so any placement ideas or anything would be greatly appreciated that goes for anything in the tank BTW..

Thanks Again,
James

Ph is 8.2 and Alk is 5.5meq/l as per Seachems test but I tested the Ref. and it said the same which according to the paperwork the Ref. was supposed to be 4meq/l.. I have a batch of Ro/Di getting ready for a change.. I was thinking like 10-15 gals today..

Other parameters
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2
po4 .03
Ca 420

TIA,
James

the lights that it was under was 400watt MH and well you know what lighting I have 330 watt pc 6x55watt

I would say probably about the same flow that it is now... It was kind of hard to tell what kind of flow but it seemed like it was low-moderate... From my understanding is that they propagate these all the time and gont have problems with them.. They said that it should open within a few hours of being in my tank.. Do you think I should do the 10-15gal water change and go from there?? As you can see from the pic the bubble coral which has nearly all the same flow requirements isnt too far away from it and the flow should be about the same.. It is really frustrating as its the only coral that I have had a problem with besides the Elegance..

Thanks Again for helping Kevin,
James

Just trying to narrow down the possibilities. Yes, I think a water change would be prudent, since we can't trust your alk reading.

You say 10 or 15gals would be good or should I go for close to 20 gals??? Could there be anything else??? With the powerheads and inflow would you guess the are he is in is a medium flow area??? Should I add the other 200gph in the tank and try that??? Or do you think that the water is most likely going to be the cause???

Thanks Again,
James

I would do both, I think it is most likely the water parameters, unless it is getting blasted, it shouldn't be the flow. Although I think your tank could stand to have the other powerhead.

As for the water change, I would continue with a series of 10-15g changes, I would do a few and get a new ALK kit.

Ok As with the powerhead should I add it over by the Inflow from the sump?? That is where I have been debating on putting it for some time now.. or any other suggestions..

Thanks,
James

BTW kudos for all your efforts... :)

Sorry my wording was a bit odd.. I was talking about placing it by the return from the sump blowing towards the overflow..

So The setup is according to the picture attached below.. Does this sound as though it should be ok???

TIA,
James

Back
Top Bottom