Hammer coral care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
LA classifies as moderately difficult... What are some basic care techniques and requirements for
these? I will be picking up a nice piece this weekend and any help would be appreciated. Also, the LFS has it under a 12k MH bulb, I have a Tao LED... What is the best way to acclimate this coral?

I have mine on the bottom of my tank in low flow an it loves it. To acclimate just put it on the bottom for a week then move it up but it doesn't need a ton of light. IMO an easy coral

Mine is over 15 yrs old. I have never target fed it and I have it up high in the tank with vho lighting. I consider them as easy care also.

Will these not do well in high flow tanks? I have a 40 breeder with 2 Koralia 1400's that alternate and there really aren't any dead spots lol..

Should do fine I have about 45x turnover in my tank and I just keep it in lower flow. It will tell you where it is happy by having its polyps fully extended.

Ok awesome thanks! I'll see where it's happy... I can't wait, it's a 4-5" piece I got on a crazy sale for $10... I love my LFS lol...

Thanks! Keep an eye on this thread I'll post some pics and most likely some more questions... Thanks again!

Mine is over 15 yrs old. I have never target fed it and I have it up high in the tank with vho lighting. I consider them as easy care also.

Is VHO stronger than t5 HO? How does it line up
with LED?

I have the hammer coral in my tank in the sandbed under my radions. I originally wasn't happy with it. Came to me with 4 heads and never really did much of anything, even extend well. Through the months of it just hanging out, I moved it many times to make room for a new coral that I wanted in that spot. A month ago I moved it again and BAM. Extended well and took off. Just counted 9 heads on it and it looks great. I'm assuming it is mix of less intense lighting and flow in my instance.

Wow you got that thing for $10?!! I'm so jealous of your lfs! Just give it a couple days, if it hasn't opened then move it.

Really seems to be happy... I will be getting a Calcium test kit this week, I already have Mag kit. Should I also get a Kalk kit? Also, what should be calcium and Kalk be testing at?

Really seems to be happy... I will be getting a Calcium test kit this week, I already have Mag kit. Should I also get a Kalk kit? Also, what should be calcium and Kalk be testing at?

Calcium should be between 400-500 and alk should be between 7-12 dKh

How fast do these grow? I counted 13 heads last night... And HOW do they grow? If they grow down, it will be getting burrowed in the sand. Do corals tend to grow towards the light/open space, or is it more random branching?

How fast do these grow? I counted 13 heads last night... And HOW do they grow? If they grow down, it will be getting burrowed in the sand. Do corals tend to grow towards the light/open space, or is it more random branching?

Mine grows at a moderate pace. They will split the individual heads they have now and form more branches. At least that's how mine grows.

Back
Top Bottom