Hammer Coral divide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forzaazzurri

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

is it possible to cut my large hammer coral with a dremel tool into two smaller pieces without killing it ?

It's growing like crazy and looks too big for a 40 gallon.

All depends on what type of hammer you have. If it a branching hammer then it will be fine but if it's a wall hammer, then it's a bit more risky to guarantee its success rate but it is still possible. I just fragged my branching hammer and then frags are doing great

I believe it is a branching coral as it has about 4 heads. Do I just cut the skeleton and split and avoid cutting any of the flesh ?

Yeah you should be able to see where the fleshy part just under the head starts to turn into the hard skeleton, cut as far down as possible and it should be fine

Do you have some photos. Hammers are my favourite coral.

I found this photo from 6 months back. It is larger now.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 120
Personally I would not artificially cut hammers unless they are walking hammers, you can cut stalks to frag but cutting a branching hammer head? Well it will most likely die. Each individual head has a mouth so if you dont cut that mouth perfectly down the center which is extremely small, one side will perish.

A branching hammer is a piece of cake to frag. Just leave about an inch of skeleton after the flesh and you will have no problem at all.
I've never heard of a "walking hammer".

Back
Top Bottom