Hammer Coral Growth Rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just picked up a 2 headed frag of hammer yesterday for $10 from a local guy. I was wondering how they grow. Do they grow a new branch? Here's a picture of it. iPod quality makes it look like [moderator edit].

image-2656620456.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey jake. From my research, hammer corals begin new brances towards the bottom of the stem. It may take months - years for it to grow - depending on params & feeding.

I have a hammer for a few months now and it's been growing new heads no new branches yet... It went from 2 to about 5-6 heads in about 4 months I think so hopefully that could give you an idea.
I only have a 4 bulb T-5HO

Mr. D said:
I have a hammer for a few months now and it's been growing new heads no new branches yet... It went from 2 to about 5-6 heads in about 4 months I think so hopefully that could give you an idea.
I only have a 4 bulb T-5HO

That's awesome. I have the same lighting so hopefully my will do the same.

Im tagging along as I am planning to get one of this coral too :)

Does it have water parameter requirement?

Mine has made some great progress in 4 months as well. It went from 3 heads to 5 and another splitting right now as well as 3 new baby heads growing from the base.

image-2707930677.jpg

This was after it had been in for a week.

image-2404021478.jpg

This is today, about 4 months later.

Mine took over 8 months to start sprouting heads but now I see a lot of growth around the base

image-1060179913.jpg

Don't know how we'll you can see but I started with four big heads now there is about 8-10 new ones growing

The number one thing that will help it to grow is PWC`s. Mine have grown alot and IME weekly PWC`s were a big part of it.

Those water changes are pushing phosphate levels down. It is this level IMO that inhibits growth, but too low and there are other corals that will suffer. Kind of a balancing act. I have found I am generally okay in the .05 - .07 range. Once they start dividing,they can grow fast, but sometimes it takes awhile for the coral to get "comfortable."

Back
Top Bottom