Hammer coral need doctor advice plz.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I bought a hammer there's 1 month. It was healthy first, but it seems decreasing slowly...

What usually cause some tentacles unflating ? Here's some pictures, it's always the same part of the hammer that is affected. It do this since 1,5 weeks.

192690IMG0628.jpg

185209IMG0627.jpg

422596IMG0630.jpg

Ca 450
Mg 1400
KH 8.4°

No detectables nitrogens or phosphates...

Since two weeks the calcium and magnesium raised slowly, I dosed some because it was low. Does playing with calcium or magnesium causes this ?

Are you acclimating these corals to your system? You had another question like this last week.

Maybe a little less flow. Mines moving in the flow but not even half what yours is. What are your other corals like?

Hammers like low flow in my system. Polyps moving gently. Medium light. About 200 PAR seems optimum for mine. Rapid alk and salinity changes messes with all LPS corals. Doubt calcium had much to do with it unless it got super low, same with Mg, although if it's too low, that will upset the alk/cal balance.

No I didn't acclimated any corals of my tank, only for light but not for water chemistery. They're welcome with a dip...

How do you acclimate yours ? I'm doing it with shooters of new water of water on an hour period for fishs while the bag float, will it work with corals ?

I always acclimate my corals for about an hour maybe longer depending on the coral and I float it in the bag and add tank water a bit at a time. Then dip and add to the tank.

I drip acclimate my corals for an hour or 2 until my params from my tank match the params in the bucket I'm acclimating in, I then float the corals in my tank in a breeder box for 20-25 mins to temp acclimate them again to my tank and then add them. As someone told you the last time you asked a question like this , corals and other inverts are more sensitive to element and salinity levels than fish are.

I drip acclimate my corals for an hour or 2 until my params from my tank match the params in the bucket I'm acclimating in, I then float the corals in my tank in a breeder box for 20-25 mins to temp acclimate them again to my tank and then add them. As someone told you the last time you asked a question like this , corals and other inverts are more sensitive to element and salinity levels than fish are.

Yeah I know, but the bad is already done since a month. Now I know I need to acclimate.

My firsts corals frags were 3 species of zoanthids... I did dip, no acclimate to light or water chemistry, they never shown any sings of mad corals. I initially tought it was same for all corals... I think dudes at the LFS bad adviced my first...

Anyways, not well acclimated coral can later survive and thrive ? I hope :ermm:

They might, I would definitely move that hammer to a lower flow area though.

They might, I would definitely move that hammer to a lower flow area though.

In my tank lower flow means lower light... Or I might replace the powerheads... So much pain in a 20g...

Ok I just moved up a power head, the flow is much lower. Tentacles still move in water. I hope his help.

my duncan is happy near this hammer... I though hammer needed more flow than duncans...

1941571_1546041445620368_2053868873_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom