Hammer coral not happy! Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andreasmith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 55 gal tank for a bit over a year now. I've had my branching hammer coral for almost 6 months. For the past month, it has been all shriveled up. All parameters are good. Ph 8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, calcium 540, phosphates 0, kh 161ppm.

image-779581512.jpg

I was hoping that all the branches means that it was growing and that's why it was shriveled. At this point I'm at a loss.

It has med-low flow and medium lighting. 8 hours of coralife marine lights and 3 hours of blue led's.

Add strontium and molybdenum and essential elements. Do not add any calcium.

Tank consists of 2 clownfish, yellow tail damsel, yellow watchman, purple dotty back. 3 green chromis, pajama cardinal, hawkish, 2 gobies. Have carpet anemone, rose bubble tip anemone, tube anemone. Several varieties and colors of mushrooms, Duncan's, green apple Capricorn, bubble coral, pulsing Zenia, coral carnation, zoas. Also have emerald crab.

Help!!

Sorry. Aquatic life 48" t5 ho one white light, one hybrid actinic/ blue lamp

Sorry. Aquatic life 48" t5 ho one white light, one hybrid actinic/ blue lamp

I'm not very well versed with corals, but a 2 bulb T5 over a 55 may be your problem. Maybe someone can chime in, but it doesn't seem to be enough light to me, especially for a moderate light required coral...

Someone told me that too much calcium could be the problem.
Also, I actually had my green apple Capricorn and another lps start to bleach even tho they said full light.
The plot thickens....

I've had my 55 gal tank for a bit over a year now. I've had my branching hammer coral for almost 6 months. For the past month, it has been all shriveled up. All parameters are good. Ph 8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, calcium 540, phosphates 0, kh 161ppm.

View attachment 178131

I was hoping that all the branches means that it was growing and that's why it was shriveled. At this point I'm at a loss.

It has med-low flow and medium lighting. 8 hours of coralife marine lights and 3 hours of blue led's.

Add strontium and molybdenum and essential elements. Do not add any calcium.

Tank consists of 2 clownfish, yellow tail damsel, yellow watchman, purple dotty back. 3 green chromis, pajama cardinal, hawkish, 2 gobies. Have carpet anemone, rose bubble tip anemone, tube anemone. Several varieties and colors of mushrooms, Duncan's, green apple Capricorn, bubble coral, pulsing Zenia, coral carnation, zoas. Also have emerald crab.

Help!!

I am running that same light (with different color bulbs) over my planted 55g tank and it barely allows me to grow medium light plants; and the light is only 2 months old. Sadly, 2 t5hos over a 55g tank just isn't enough light

Just more thoughts:

What's your specific gravity?

Temperature?

Have you tried moving it? It may not be happy with the flow (took me a few weeks to find mine it's happy place).

Back
Top Bottom