Hammer coral placement??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just picked up what I believe to be a branching Hammer coral with 4 "heads" on it. What are the placement suggestions for this coral? It was kept in a shallow tank under 250W MH at about 2-3' away(there were many 250W fixtures over lagoon type tank). My tank is 175watt MH with 2 55 watt actinics. Right now I've got the coral in a low flow area and shaded from above but it just doesn't look happy. Of course its only been in the tank for about 5 hours, maybe I should just give it more time?

One other thing I just noticed is that my auto topoff is right above the hammer. Will this occasional FW bother the coral?

Give it enough flow to lift and sway the polyps, too much and it will open less. IME, they like med to high light. I don't know if the FW will bother it, I'm inclined to say yes, simply because they are not nuts about ph and alk swings, which you would see small local ph and alk swings due to the small introductions of FW. It probably is inconsequential, but it's something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom