Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Jtisle506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 182
[QUOTE="Phranque;2231239"]Lighting's definitely not a problem, but if it were mine, I'd have the lights parallel with the tank, not perpendicular.... that's a very noticeable dead spot in the center.



I agree.
__________________

__________________
Jtisle506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Shirtlessbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs View Post
I found hammer coral to be easy to keep. I never had to target feed and I didn't have to provide bright light. Mine actually preffered more actinic lighting than bright 10-20k.

One thing though, looking at your pic, you have branching hammers that are showing some recession in a good number of the lower branches. Did you dip it before adding by chance? It looks like algae has dug into it pretty good and I would keep an eye out for continued recession. I'd also place it in a more subdued part of the tank as far as lighting and current to allow it to recover from the transition and to get healthy again as well.

If it were mine, I would probably go as far as cutting off the branches that were dead.....but that's just me.
Can you explain what you mean by recession? This is my first coral of this kind so any/all advice is welcome. And no I did not do a dip before I put the piece in (I did a drip acclimation for about 1 1/2 hours. Just in case it helps I got this from my LFS and it had been with them for many months (I think almost a year). I say that just because its not like it was just shipped to me and I just threw it in my tank.

Here, I'll upload a better quality pick

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-118048271.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	136715  
__________________

__________________
Shirtlessbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Phranque's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 1,443
Now, with a better picture, there are a few heads down on the bottom right that look like they have recessed & died, but a majority of those stalks have been clipped for fragging. If that were mine, I'd just finish the job and frag those remaining pieces & get rid of that big chunk with the algae on it........

You always want to dip your corals.... I use CoralRx. It can help prevent importing parasites into your tank. If you just acclimated it and put it in, watch your tang carefully. I hate to be the tang police, but that is too small of a tank for that, and they are VERY susceptible to ich, which a coral frag can easily bring in.
__________________
Wanna calculate the cost of that new reef tank?? Take your worst nightmare, double it, and you're halfway there.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
Now, with a better picture, there are a few heads down on the bottom right that look like they have recessed & died, but a majority of those stalks have been clipped for fragging. If that were mine, I'd just finish the job and frag those remaining pieces & get rid of that big chunk with the algae on it........

You always want to dip your corals.... I use CoralRx. It can help prevent importing parasites into your tank. If you just acclimated it and put it in, watch your tang carefully. I hate to be the tang police, but that is too small of a tank for that, and they are VERY susceptible to ich, which a coral frag can easily bring in.
I agree. It looks like there are about 4 heads on there. I would cut them and get rid of the big chunky part. Just mount them to your rock. You could put them all near each other to look like a bigger, thicker piece or you could spread them around the tank to fill out the tank.
__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Phranque's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
I agree. It looks like there are about 4 heads on there. I would cut them and get rid of the big chunky part. Just mount them to your rock. You could put them all near each other to look like a bigger, thicker piece or you could spread them around the tank to fill out the tank.
Or keep the nicest piece for yourself & sell the rest..... make some money back & recoup on the cost of the coral. Hammer grows fast enough that you'll have yourself a nice size colony before too long.........
__________________
Wanna calculate the cost of that new reef tank?? Take your worst nightmare, double it, and you're halfway there.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Shirtlessbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 334
Alright thanks for the ideas. If I choose to cut the heads is there a special tool for that or just a hammer and chisel approach?


And I know the tank is smaller than ideal for the tang. I had a 125 gallon tank split at the seam and the largest size tank at all of the stores around me was this 75. It was an emergency so I just went with it.
__________________
Shirtlessbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Big wire cutters are what I use for branching corals, hammer and chisel for galaxea.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Beengirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
Alright thanks for the ideas. If I choose to cut the heads is there a special tool for that or just a hammer and chisel approach?

And I know the tank is smaller than ideal for the tang. I had a 125 gallon tank split at the seam and the largest size tank at all of the stores around me was this 75. It was an emergency so I just went with it.
Keep in mind, this is NOT from experience, only from research:
Make sure you cut the skeleton, not tissue. You can use a Dremel if you have one, or a hand saw, or even a wet saw if you have one. I read some people use large snips. Then use some superglue gel to affix them onto some rock. Good luck!!
__________________
Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Phranque's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
And I know the tank is smaller than ideal for the tang. I had a 125 gallon tank split at the seam and the largest size tank at all of the stores around me was this 75. It was an emergency so I just went with it.
What.... you didn't have that 180 in reserve?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Big wire cutters are what I use for branching corals, hammer and chisel for galaxea.
Those work, just make sure they're very clean. I spent the $$ during one of the group buys and picked up one of BRS's stainless frag kits with the small & large bone cutters, and those tools are used for nothing but the tank.
Make your cut as far down the stalk beneath the living head as possible, and, as beengirl stated, use some gel superglue or epoxy to attach to your rock of choice.
__________________
Wanna calculate the cost of that new reef tank?? Take your worst nightmare, double it, and you're halfway there.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Fish-guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
@fish-guy are you target feeding it or just letting the water column bring it to them?

@sniperhank I have 2 Aqua Illumination LEDs. From what my LFS told me that should be plenty. I'll do a tank pick and you tell me if my positioning is bad.
Yes I target feed mine occasionally. And I do agree with what was mentioned before. They seem to prefer 20k lighting.
__________________

__________________
Fish-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coral, hammer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.