Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hammer coral Q's

Hey everybody,

Just picked up a really cool hammer coral piece and was wondering if anyone had any advice for keeping it healthy. I have successfully kept a crown leather coral and Recordias (they are spreading like crazy) for about 5 months now so I thought it was time to start adding some variety. I have a yellow tang, black percula clown, goby, dwarf fuzzy lion, cleaner shrimp, and I just introduced a Flame angel.

I figured that as long as I keep my water parameters good I should have no issues but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

75 gallon
SG: bounces between 1.026 and 1.0275
Temp: 78
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2729423348.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	136523   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-704741835.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	136526  

Name:	image-829630453.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	136527  

Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I feed mine mysis shrimp weekly. But that's not a requirement. I just do it when I feed my fish.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well bill, that depends. Hammer coral need more light then soft corals as they are Lps. What lo lighting do you have?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

@fish-guy are you target feeding it or just letting the water column bring it to them?

@sniperhank I have 2 Aqua Illumination LEDs. From what my LFS told me that should be plenty. I'll do a tank pick and you tell me if my positioning is bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2537686039.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	136556   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3645856745.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	136557  

Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Those are great lights if I remember correctly. Keep the hammer in the sandbed and move it up in a couple of weeks if needed.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting won't be an issue with those. The main concern imo for hammers (and frogspawn, torches, galaxea and other similar corals) flow is the biggest issue. You'll want to find a happy medium so that the tentacles have a nice flow to them.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Lighting won't be an issue with those. The main concern imo for hammers (and frogspawn, torches, galaxea and other similar corals) flow is the biggest issue. You'll want to find a happy medium so that the tentacles have a nice flow to them.
That's what I a am little worried about. I have two 1400 gph power heads and 4 of the 5 hammers seem to have good movement. The 5th however is on the other side of the rock and I'm a bit worried that its flow is minimal. There is movement however nothing like the others. Should I be worried about this?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My frogspawn seems to like the middle of my tank
Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Lighting's definitely not a problem, but if it were mine, I'd have the lights parallel with the tank, not perpendicular.... that's a very noticeable dead spot in the center.

As far as current, I've got 4 powerheads in my tank. The bottom 2 are constant, and the 2 at center level are on a Koralia wave maker alternating every 2 minutes, which my hammer seem to love. They're not in the direct current, but a nice indirect alternating current.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I found hammer coral to be easy to keep. I never had to target feed and I didn't have to provide bright light. Mine actually preffered more actinic lighting than bright 10-20k.

One thing though, looking at your pic, you have branching hammers that are showing some recession in a good number of the lower branches. Did you dip it before adding by chance? It looks like algae has dug into it pretty good and I would keep an eye out for continued recession. I'd also place it in a more subdued part of the tank as far as lighting and current to allow it to recover from the transition and to get healthy again as well.

If it were mine, I would probably go as far as cutting off the branches that were dead.....but that's just me.

Tags
coral, hammer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com