Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hammer VS Torch VS frog spawn

Torch - Hammer - Frog spawn

i have always loved the look and colour of these three corals. and i am looking at getting one of the corals. but i have a few questions

1. which is the hardiest/fastest growing of the bunch

2. which is most likely to host a clown? (im aware there is no guarentee of it hosting)

3. is there anything specific to be known about these three corals. ie. special feeding, care, requirements etc...

i have read a bunch online already. i am hoping for some personal experience from some members.

thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just got a frog spawn and a hammer about 2 weeks ago love them both. Hammer is more colorful neither of my clowns have gone near them yet. I read that they won't like it anyways if they do try to host them.

I feed them the same frozen mix I do my fish. The frogspawn actually grabs for it so I put it right by it.

Good luck all great choices.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr funktastic View Post

i have always loved the look and colour of these three corals. and i am looking at getting one of the corals. but i have a few questions

2. which is most likely to host a clown? (im aware there is no guarentee of it hosting)

3. is there anything specific to be known about these three corals. ie. special feeding, care, requirements etc...

i have read a bunch online already. i am hoping for some personal experience from some members.

thanks in advance
The hammer would be the least hardy they stress real easy compared to a frogspawn or torch. They will eat brine/ mysis shrimp.

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm of the belief that one doesn't need to feed their corals (I know that there are some that need assistance like a sea fan) other than what is already in the tank. Regular water changes with a Salt mix will provide the nutrients they need. So as far as care for those three I think flow and lighting are going to be the most important factors for you. I have a branching hammer that is spawning very well with different heads being in different parts if my tank. I've found that they look best with medium light intensity and flow. At least that's what's working for me.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr funktastic View Post

thanks in advance
I have owned\currently own a few species of each of these LPS. Frogspawn seems to me the hardiest of the 3 with the hammer last. Frogspawn also seemed to grow the most quickly with a wall hammer the slowest to grow. Branching hammers tend to grow a bit faster IME.

A few of my clowns have hosted a torch coral. They haven't come close to the frogspawn or hammer. This though is definitely random. Clowns may not host any of these.

There are no real feeding requirements. As LPS, they are a bit easier to care for the SPS. Just please make sure you have adequate light for these corals. With the lighting needed for these corals, you could definitely keep a BTA if you're looking for your clowns to host something. Just a thought.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use to have a bta and my clown did host it. But with building a reef I worry about the anemone moving arond and causing problems. I like the look of all 3 of the corals so the clown hosting would only be a plus. I currently.have a quad t5 fixture. 156 watt over a 30 gal. So my lighting should be sufficient. But I am very close to upgrading to LED.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think the torch is the least hardy.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a torch and a frog spawn. Frogspawn grows quicker. My host the torch. I have not have issues with either one. They like the right spot. Too much flow will keep the torch from being open.

Tags
frog, hammer, spawn, torch

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com