Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2004, 09:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't trust the meter to be calibrated when you get it.
Also, when they sometimes have calibration packets with them, they usually are for pH4 and pH7 which is no good for testing pH values above 7. You have to get standard solutions of pH7 and pH10 to get accurate readings for salt water pH.
I store mine wet, with water in the protective cap that fits on the end.
When I test a sample, I leave it sit until the reading stabilizes, as it sometimes takes more than a little time to get a stable reading.

Old 07-04-2004, 11:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive found that to get a good reading i have to take a cup of water out of my tank and test that. If i stick it right into the tank it cant get a stable reading very well and reads really low. is that normal?

Old 07-05-2004, 01:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I store mine dry and have never calibrated it.. when I test I dip it straight into the tank and the reading stabilizes after a few seconds. It shows pH as 8.0 in the morning and 8.3 in the evening which is what my Seachem test kit always gave me too.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay
Don't trust the meter to be calibrated when you get it.
Also, when they sometimes have calibration packets with them, they usually are for pH4 and pH7 which is no good for testing pH values above 7. You have to get standard solutions of pH7 and pH10 to get accurate readings for salt water pH.
I store mine wet, with water in the protective cap that fits on the end.
When I test a sample, I leave it sit until the reading stabilizes, as it sometimes takes more than a little time to get a stable reading.
What fluid are you using to store it, regular tap water?
Old 07-05-2004, 11:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just dip the cap in the aged tap water I have on hand, and then place the cap on the meter until next use. I believe if you read the instructions that come with the meter, it will tell you to store wet, but not in calibration fluid.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually the instructions say you can use the calibration fluid to store it OR buy the storage fluid.

Old 07-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, time to search for either calibration or storage fluid... hmm, might as well get calibration fluid as it can serve a dual purpose. Anyone know what's so special about this "storage" fluid?

If using tap water if fine for storage, I may as well use that. I dont want to damage anything, especially when the intructions say not to use RO water. Wonder why... ?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Think about it this way.. the electrodes are bone dry when you get the meter. Who knows how long that particular meter may have been on the shelf or wherever. If it was at all damaging to store it dry then they would be factory shipped in storage fluid!

Old 07-06-2004, 04:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Understandable... but what if the electrode was not designed to be dried after each use? What if, by doing so causes the electrode to wear prematurely and in the mean time cause the readings to be off?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

It has nothing to do with wearing it out.. if anything it might throw the calibration off a little but since these meters have an accuracy of +/- 0.2 anyway, I doubt it would be significant.

I still say if storage solution was really that important then it would come with the meter.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com