Hang on or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you guys think a hang on fuge(Medium AquaFuge2 Water Capacity: 3.60 Gallons )would make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile? I realize that anything is better than nothing but I just wanted some opinions about it and also some advice on the best stuff to put in one.
TIA
Mike

Every bit makes a difference. If you don't have any type of fuge allready on on your 75 gallon, I would do it.

However, IMO I wouldn't waste my time with it if it made my tank look any bit less appealing. Thats just me though, I don't like hang on the back stuff...I have a bunch of HOB stuff in my 37 gal and I hate it. I just don't have any room for it in the sump under the tank.

Back on subject though, Doing the fuge will give you more water, better filtration, more water flow, ect ect....Basically more stable conditions and cleaner water. I'd go for it.

I'm a noob though lol...so ya might want a second opinion.

Shoot for larger. Even if it involves rethinking sump methodologies.
Chaetomorpha sp. algae with oolitic sand, about 2.5-3" deep.
Eunicia and Murecea gorgonians.
Reverse or perpetual photoperiod with power compacts.

I would go for it......place to grow pods and you could put a mangrove or two in there....they are supposed to really help with PO4.

afishyonados said:
Shoot for larger. Even if it involves rethinking sump methodologies.
Chaetomorpha sp. algae with oolitic sand, about 2.5-3" deep.
Eunicia and Murecea gorgonians.
Reverse or perpetual photoperiod with power compacts.
What purpose would the gorgonians have?

Not only are they stylish and cool, they use copious amounts of fish waste, particulate and in solution. They are photosynthetic filter feeders at their best! (Notice I only listed those particular two.)

Justin Credebel was telling us at the MACNA seminar that he is having good success with "dark refugiums". This is good for areas where light may be an issue. Dark refugiums have filter feeding worms, lots of pods and tons of assorted beneficial microscopic critters and bacteria, but no plants. You might google it to find out more.

Steve Tyree was probably upset... His "cryptic zone" design was STOLEN! (Meant to be read with extreme sarcasm!)

Another very effective form of passive biological and mechanical filtration with minimal maintenance needed. Cool.

i ran a dark HOB fuge on my 29g. there were lots of filter feeding worms and various pods. i think it gave me more diversity having a low flow dark area. i would go for it. plus i put one heater in it. its another place to hide stuff, even troublesome hitcher hiker crabs

steve r

Back
Top Bottom