Hanna nitrite test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added a Hanna nitrite test to my arsenal. My water tested 9 ppm. How low should I try to keep it in a 110 mixed reef. Are water changes the only remedy?? Gonna test again tomorrow to see if it runs that high again. How high is dangerous? Please help!

9 ppm is super good !! I also have a mixed reef and Im running 15 ppm, but the closer to zero the better , I do a 20% gallon wAter change every two weeks , I'm also trying to get mine down to zero haha

And sps coral won't grow if its over like 25 ppm , Lps will still grow at like 40 ppm , cause Lps coral likes a little bit of nitrates

Do you mean nitrate? If so 9 isn't bad. Sps will brown out at 25 ppm nitrate. 45 ppm nitrate will kill most corals or at the least cause them to never grow and show minimal polyp extension. The closer to 0 you are the better.

No. The Hanna checker says it it a nitrite test. Don't know if it is a good tester but trying to take some of the guess work out!

Oh if it's nitrites they should be 0. 9 is very toxic. Do you have livestock in there and was the tank cycled? If the tank was cycled and you have livestock and they seem fine you may have calibrated the checker wrong. Hanna makes probably the best testers on the market.

Tank is 1 1/2 yrs old. Mixed reef with livestock and inverts. Everything seems fine. 15 gall fuge with oversized skimmer. Running brs Gfo in reactor. Maybe I just need to retest.

In a cycled tank, ammonia and nitrites should be zero. I never even check those after everything is running well. I would double check it.

Hana test kits are top of the line , I'm actually about to go pick one up myself haha

Back
Top Bottom