Hanna PH meters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just ordered a Hanna PH meter that everyone is talking about. I want to know if you guys are happy with it, and what do you do or did you do (if anything) to calibrate it? What ever became of the conversation as to the calibration fluid, storing it in water when not in use, etc. Whats everyones advice?
Thanks

Ok guys I need help with this thing!! Unlike most of you that ordered one of these, I got mine WITH the Hanna PH 7.01 and 4.01 liquid. I soaked mine in tap water like the instructions said to do for 2 hours. But when I test my tank water, the reading isnt any higher than 6-6.50....what is acceptable? I thought it was supposed to be 8.2?? The instructions said NOT to recalibrate the thing? Do I need to? What is the reading on the metere supposed to be?? What do I need to do...please help!! :p The instructions do not tell you what you are to look for or how to read the thing...
THANKS 8O

I bought a hana checker as well, when I tested LFS bought salt water it had that a tad low so I bought the 7.01/4.01 solutions from them.

Recalibrated it & got nearer what I thought was right (8.1-8.2), but on testing my tank water I got 7.85!

I've been told not to worry about my PH though whilst my tank is cycling. I don't know which model you have but my instructions told me how to recalibrate it, not that I shouldn't?

Cheers Shelton.

I have had my hanna for over a year. In my experience it needs regular calibration and preferably with two points 7.01/4.01 for accuracy. I also noted that it tends to give readings lower than what is actual. Sometimes it could be -0.2 out. I believe the probe needs regular cleaning with hanna's cleaning solution and calibration in order to maintain it's accuracy. Using tap water to wash the probe over time will problem introduce lime over it and cause it to malfunction, in my experience.

I would always check against a pH test kit if in doubt.

I think I figured out what it was...I was sticking the meter directly into the tank and it was giving a false reading....when I took a sample of water from the tank it was almost perfect....lesson learned!!
thanks

Back
Top Bottom