Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2003, 03:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
hard corals and sps

i currently have a 65 gallon without alot of corals in it. my present lighting is a 250 watt mh 12K sunburst bulb which i plan to change in the summer to either one 250w 6500k and one 400w 6500k or 2 250 6500k lights. so i think that my lighting will be sufficient to be able to keep some of the more hardy sps or hard corals. but as far as like calcium and other additives what are some info you guys can throw my way. because i think those corals are really cool but i just want to learn a little about them before i buy them. so any links or info would be appriciated.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
i currently have a 65 gallon
Quote:
i plan to change in the summer to either one 250w 6500k and one 400w 6500k or 2 250 6500k lights.
What are the measurements of the tank? Will there be any actinic supplamentation? Most people don't like the yellow look of 6500K by themselves. If your going with 6500K, I highly recommend Iwasaki bulbs.

Quote:
as far as like calcium and other additives what are some info you guys can throw my way.
Hmmm, I would recommend keeping your CA between 400 and 450 mg/l and your ALK from 2.0 meq/l and 4.5 meq/l, depending on the CA.As for other additives....I do not use any. I do regular waterchanges and drip kalk, nothing else.

Quote:
think those corals are really cool but i just want to learn a little about them before i buy them. so any links or info would be appriciated.
Aquarium Corals by Eric H. Borneman
ISBN 1890087475
Buy this book today at Amazon.com

Aquarium Corals by Borneman is one of the best you can have, but there are many other good references on our suggested reading list.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=17

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 03:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
yeah as far actinics i currently have 2 36" NO's but after the lighting upgrede i was going to see how it looked and depending on that i was thinking about buying maybe 2 vho's for actinic. i'm still planning so any input is appriciated. oh yeah and i was planning on going with the Iwasaki bulbs bceause i heard good things abou them.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:51 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I just recently got my lighting setup done. It is 2 400 watt MH 6500k Iwasakis and 4 48" actinic 03s. It looks awesome. I used spider reflectors and the mh shimmer like crazy. It looks really close to actual sunlight IMO. Corals are loving it too. Especially my devils hand. I use B-Ionic to keep my calcium up.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

B-Ionic on one tank and a calcium reactor on the other. Any two part calcium supplement should work for you
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals, hard coral, hard corals, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com