Hardware....in a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in the process of aquiring a 30 gal tank from a friend. Can I, or should I, house all of the hardware (pumps, skimmer, and heaters) inside this tank? Is there a "How To" on this? I was planning on locating it under the big tank in the stand. Any help would be appreciate, Thanks

Sparky

Putting stuff in your sump reduces the amount of unsightly equipment in your display. I'm not sure what pumps you're talking about putting in there. You'll need a pump to return water to the main tank, and one to operate the skimmer. You can put the skimmer in the sump, and the heaters can go in there as well. Make sure you put the heaters in an area of good flow, so that they have a chance to adequately heat the water. Reason being, if the heaters are in the sump, if they don't get a chance to heat water there, they won't do much of anything for your tank. If you plan on designing compartments for it, or you're wondering about general schematics or how to rig things up, the folks in the DIY forum are quite helpful, and they can help you with that issue as well. HTH!

Back
Top Bottom