Harlequin shrimp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudzie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Added a harlequin to my 75 about three weeks ago, had a piece of cc star i gave it after acclimation.. Hoping it will clean up the asternia star population. Dont see it too often,but when i do i feed it one of the asternias..question is can it hunt them ok or add cc star leg to supplement??

Hi yeah they should hunt them down fine. I was going to add 1 for for the same reason but what I started to do was pick some asterinas out and freeze a load in a zip lock bag, then If you think he's hungry thaw some out and feed the little guy some.

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea...
I plan on getting a couple choco chip stars to keep in the sump and alternate feeding legs after
Asternia population is depleted??

Yeah that's what most people with harlys do snip a leg off and feed it lol
Let us know how you get on with the asterina population as in thinking of getting a harly or 2 ;)

Ironic, this same question was asked in the recent Tropical FIsh Hobbyist Saltwater Q and A. The columnist went down the morality issue of cutting off legs of starfish to feed the Harleys. I rolled my eyes when I got to that part of the Answer.

Well its been a month now, asternia population is rapidly declining. Have three cc starfish in my sump..regenerating limbs. Lol. The harlequin is doing great...

Do you feed, whole star fish?? I was wondering about that, but thought it might drag it off and not see it for quite awhile... Haaha

Do you feed, whole star fish?? I was wondering about that, but thought it might drag it off and not see it for quite awhile... Haaha

Yea I do. I give it a whole star , let it hunt it then it drags it into its cave. But your right, I hardly see it. When she's out I know she's hungry.

But then i would be concerned about the harlrey finding the cc star and stunning it before it really did any coral damage..

But then i would be concerned about the harlrey finding the cc star and stunning it before it really did any coral damage..

I place it on front pretty much and watch it drag it into the cave. I feel the same way so I make sure she gets it. I have a few videos on YouTube.

Great video.... My harlequin hangs out towards the back of the tank.. Might try to set one in front and see if it detects it before it roams off...

Great video.... My harlequin hangs out towards the back of the tank.. Might try to set one in front and see if it detects it before it roams off...

Yeah try it I bet it works.

I couldn't buy star fish to be eaten. I like them to much.

I understand but... I really wanted one and so did the wife. A happy wife = a happy life.

I put one in a tank overrun with asternas. It cleaned them out pretty well. then I was feeding it CC stars. One every couple/few weeks wasn't enough apparently. As far as starfish regenerating legs, that takes months and months. You need 50 starfish in order to use this approach IME.
A better idea would be to wait until your asterina population is to a minimum, then offer it out to a local reefer with the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom