Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Has anyone ever been stung by a lion fish

I have had like four lion fish but I have been lucky so far not to get stung by one please share your experience.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My friend was stung his hand swelled up and he said it was a slow and long pain he was alright after couple days cobalt blue(spider) are worse that's for sure and those last about 3-4 days

Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick93
My friend was stung his hand swelled up and he said it was a slow and long pain he was alright after couple days cobalt blue(spider) are worse that's for sure and those last about 3-4 days
Yeah i know quite a few people who have been stung. I worked in a fish store for years and i would rather get stung any day from a lionfish rather than stabbed by a foxface. Foxface should be feared way more and its funny because people dont even comprehend they are venemous, like the teenager who came into the store one day and stuck his hand into the foxface tank messing with the fish, all we heard was the screaming. I still remember the look on his face when i told him he might not live. I know im evil >

Needless to say hes not permitted in the store any longer.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I've been stabbed many times by Ariidae species, I imagine the wound is similar in scope. I find it mainly depends on where you get jabbed. Fingertips are the worst.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
like the teenager who came into the store one day and stuck his hand into the foxface tank messing with the fish, all we heard was the screaming. I still remember the look on his face when i told him he might not live. I know im evil >

Nice!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Yeah i know quite a few people who have been stung. I worked in a fish store for years and i would rather get stung any day from a lionfish rather than stabbed by a foxface. Foxface should be feared way more and its funny because people dont even comprehend they are venemous, like the teenager who came into the store one day and stuck his hand into the foxface tank messing with the fish, all we heard was the screaming. I still remember the look on his face when i told him he might not live. I know im evil >

Really???? How bad is it an what are the effects... I am a teenager who owns a foxface... Lol
Old 06-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol thats my point exactly, you didnt even know did you? Lol

The pain is compared to a bad wasp sting however if you are allergic to the venom it can be deadly serious. And you wont know till you get stung so try to avoid those spines lol. It can easily turn into a trip to the hospital even if only for precaution. Usually you will learn the second time stung whether or not your allergic. It can cause the same kinds of breather problems etc. as compared to someone being stung by a bee who is allergic to bees.

If you couldnt get help in time you might be outta luck if your airways closed.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hahah i knew they were venomous, but i didnt know how bad. I heard it was like a bee sting and im not allergic so i got him, hes super cool.

I hope i dont get stung!!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol well i almost got stung once but thats it, usually if i see them spines up and hes in a real aggressive posture i wont even put my hand in the tank till they calm down. I know a few people who are allergic and had some bad reactions, not life threating since medical attention was sought in time but im sure the foxface has possibly claimed a life at some point, i personally know of no one besides the possibility of it happening.

I just consider them slightly more dangerous because people are unaware. Most however know not to go near a lionfishs spines.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow I wasn't aware that a fox face was dangerous however my yellow tang stab me with his spike at the end of it's tail. I remember he had a little rich on him I was trying to get him out of the tank but he was super fast so I grab his [mod edit] with my hand and he got me in my thumb. I left a blood trail in the tank and my leopard sharks went crazy for two hours lol.

Tags
lion fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com