Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

True....but he has to claim the copyright. He has to give notification that it is copyrighted, which he does not.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you buy it, you own it. You can post pictures all over the internet of it if you want. Copyright protection is not to prevent someone from posting information about something they own on the internet. It is to prevent someone else from copying and selling the same design.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #23
zacdl

Copyrights do not need to be posted that there is one. If you write a book, you do not need a copyright. As long as you have proof it is your book you are covered. If someone re-does your book and copyrights it and you find out, you can really get them in trouble because you are the original maker, and you can have their copyright removed. Publicly displaying copyright stuff is BETTER because most people do not know that everyone who writes a book or something like this, is covered by a copyright.
Copyright does not cover something like this anyway (I checked into this extensivly one time). Copyright is mainly books and such.

A PATENT is what he would need. And those cost several hundred dollars to aquire (If I remember right).

And that is true, anyone can post all of that idea all OVER the internet and not get in trouble about it.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

So did someone finally get it?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #25
zacdl

Dr NAte ordered it I dont know if he got it or not.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishead
I think that it probably is a good idea, but when you have a good idea you should patent it and keep others from cashing in as much as possible.
It's not quite that simple. I think you have to hire a lawyer to research your idea to see if anything like it has already been patented, then you have to apply for a patent. A patent costs THOUSANDS of dollars I believe - I thought it was $8,000 (not including other legal fees). After you go through that legal hell, you still have to have the funds and desire to sue anyone who violates the patent.

Like most money-making ventures in this country, patents and copyrights are primarily for the rich or well-connected.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:49 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, now I'm really ready to find out what this idea is...I really didn't think it'd take this long to find out!
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:02 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
It's not quite that simple. I think you have to hire a lawyer to research your idea to see if anything like it has already been patented, then you have to apply for a patent. A patent costs THOUSANDS of dollars I believe - I thought it was $8,000 (not including other legal fees). After you go through that legal hell, you still have to have the funds and desire to sue anyone who violates the patent.

Like most money-making ventures in this country, patents and copyrights are primarily for the rich or well-connected.
Its $500 to apply for the patent, then you have to do a search (at the patent office, or a lawyer can do it for you) to make sure that you can patent it. That takes time. Other than that there are no fees to patent an idea, just to actually produce it.

My husband (prior to us getting married) went to have an idea patented. He paid the $500 than found out that the idea had already been patented. His best friend is a major business man in our home town and has done patents many times before, thus he didnt need all the expensive books or lawyers to get started. That was in Texas. I am not sure if it varies from state to state or country to country.

Most people use lawyers to get patents, but you dont have to. If you do hire a lawyer it is more expensive. They will also come up with ways that you can go around getting a patent on a similar idea to one that has already been patented. People get ideas patented all the time, then never do anything with them. Its really very stupid. I think they should only patent ideas if people have a solid business plan on how they are going to make money on the idea.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #29
zacdl

It costs a lot of money to alter a patent as well.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
After you go through that legal hell, you still have to have the funds and desire to sue anyone who violates the patent.
That's exactly right. Filing the patent doesn't cost nearly as much as it does to defend it, especially if you're up against an established company with deep pockets.

Heatware 164-0-0
bzbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com