Has anyone fragged a single button polyp to a hermit shell :p?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking about fraggin off a button polyp and gluing it to either a live hermit shell(what i really wanna do) or a larger shell that nothing resides in but im sure they will change into it in the future. has anyone tried this? sounds kinda cool i thought

The hermit will drop the shell behind the rocks and you'll never see the coral again. Just a hunch. Or, the polyp will never get to attach with a moving subject. Or, you'll never be able to glue the wet polyp succesfully anyway.

Heck, give it a shot and let us know. But I got doubts, Lemme count the ways. Oh, I guess I already did that. :) Good luck.

haha well i like a challenge ;p ill give it a go later today and put up a pic if its succesful

did it

couldnt wait, did it. so far its only been 5 min but they are sticking. i removed them both (hermit and frags) dried both his shell and frag, set up a small bowl of water that was just enough to submerge his head but not the whole shell and let them dry for about 2 min then placed in tank and here we are(ill pics when they open if this works)

Attachments

• hermit with frag 001.jpg
    hermit with frag 001.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 86
  • hermit with frag 002.jpg
    hermit with frag 002.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 101
  • hermit with frag 003.jpg
    hermit with frag 003.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 94
I had a zoa fragged on my hermit. But it always stayed closed and never recovered.

I had a zoa fragged on my hermit. But it always stayed closed and never recovered.

Pretty sure that will always be the result. Hermit don't drag their shells around very carefully... they're always bashing them into something, usually a coral. :bad-words:

Worth a try though!

i heard of those nem hermits, very cool and this is one case where i hope everyone is wrong :p haha but so far so good, one fell off but it wasnt glued as good, the other is still on tight and the hermits been going all throughout the rocks and the polyp even opened some! not completely but its no longer sealed all the way shut so i know its alive. this is very cool. stay tuned, ill keep postin updates

heres some pictures of it partially opened, they are pretty bad but i tried

Attachments

• hermit with frag 001.jpg
    hermit with frag 001.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 79
  • hermit with frag 002.jpg
    hermit with frag 002.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 99
  • hermit with frag 003.jpg
    hermit with frag 003.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 95
So I can now say its succesful :D! the polyp has completely opened the only problem could be it possibly falling off but I feel like it would of already so everyone get on out there and frag onto their hermits!

Attachments

• hermit with frag.jpg
    hermit with frag.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom