Has anyone had any luck with target feeding a linkia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone had any luck with target feeding a linkia? I've tried to feed mine by placing food under it's leg with no luck. So far I've tried small pieces of shrimp that my serpent sea star ended up enjoying. And I've tried Green Marine Algae (natural dried seaweeds). They won't take them I'm really concerned about these guys, when I ordered them I ordered small and I even called them to make sure they sent the smallest possible ones. They sent big ones about three inches I'm guessing and I'm scared there isn't enough for them to eat. My big tank won't be ready for probably 4 more months is my guess. I have a 24g right now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I wish there was a way for me to know if I have enough to keep them until I get my bigger tank. I don't want them to starve to death. I was thinking of taking my sea urchin back to the LFS to see if this would give them more to eat. But now I see urchins eat something entirely different.

It takes them close to a year to starve to death, but I'm sure permanant damage is done long before then. It is recommended that you keep one in no less than 100 lbs of mature live rock.

I'm be upgrading to 140 gallon in the next 4 months, when I say that I expect the tank to be through with its cycle by then. I could sell them to my LRS but how do I know they will sell to someone who's responsible? I'm afraid to let them keep them for me.

I wouldnt reccomened target feeding there should be pleanty of food in the tank for it to eat. Also they are sensitive to oils humands have on their skin so if you touch it of something theres a possility it may die thats why I refuse to get one because something needs fixing in my tank about 2-3 times a week and well dont wanna kill it :-\

Thank you for the advise. I put my hand in there alot to but I always wash all the way up to my elbow. Then I use palpating sp? gloves that I buy from the local feed store for .25 they go all the way up to your shoulder. They are made for checking cattle for pregnancy. They are thin so grabbing things in your tank is possible with these.

Sounds good just felt I should put inn my 2 cents of not to touch it with your hands I've been warned time and time again.

Back
Top Bottom