Has anyone noticed this with their AquaC Remora skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcos77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My AquaC remora hang on skimmer works great but I noticed that with the Rio 800 pump that came with it makes alot of noise (buzzing sound).
I was told by an AquaC rep. that backpressure was causing the problem. For example, take any PH and if you cover the flow with your finger you will hear the sound. I don't know what I should do about it, aquaC didn't really have any solutions for it. Anyone have the same problem?

I have one too, and it's equiped with a maxijet. I still get the sound from time to time. In my case though, and possibly yours aswell, there are some adjusting screws (plastic) at the bottom of the skimmer body that gives the bottom of the skimmer something to rest on. Theses screws rest on the tank glass itself and tend to vibrate against the glass. If you go to a craft/sewing shop, you can get some of those felt stickey things that some put on the bottom of chairs, to keep from marring the floor, those placed on the screws work well at cutting back on the noise.

Rios are a waste of money. You will get much better performance otu of the maxijet 1200. The maxijet 1200 will perform better under backpresssure than any RIO powerhead.

I have a maxijet on mine. I have noticed the same buzzing noise. What I found was the the poly tube coming from my pump up to the skimmer was actually slightly touching the glass of the tank. This was causing the buzzing. So I slightly heated the tube and bent it away from the tank. I also added felt to the pipe where it could contact the plastic part of my lids, and the screw adjustments. This helped with the prob.

I have since changed it completely and adapted it to work out of my sump rather then hanging on the tank. I am much happier with this and it seems to work just as well.

Back
Top Bottom