Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Has anyone tried this?

I was thinking of going to my local grocery store and asking about the fish/shrimp that they were no longer going to keep (throw away). Taking it home and putting it in a blender and freezing them in cubes or small portions to feed to the tank. I bet one could get the fish/shrimp for next to nothing if one spoke to the manager and explained what you were using it for...

Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure how a fish react's to old food but I know how I do and it's not pretty. I would rather spend a couple bucks and feed my fish quality food and know what their getting rather than take a chance of poisining my high dollar fish somehow, I have no idea if this is even possible but I'm not the one finding out.,,LOL

150 rr Oceanic, 300 pound lr,250 pounds ls, lps's, polyp's,soft corals, sps's,
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know if I would chance that. The older the food gets the more bacteria that grows. For us it won't do anything but with a sensitive animal like a marine fish I wouldn't chance it.JMHO
Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Just tell them you want a little bit of a few things. Last time I did he just threw it all in 1 bowl. Probably made 3 months of food for a few dollars.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com