Has anyone used aquatraders.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
owh my god so cheap for MH... do they post to australia?? i cant find it anywhere.

If u r planning on buying lighting from aquatrader do urself and ur house a favor and dont buy Odyssea lights. Search Odyssea lighting on google and u will read hundreds of horror stories about them catching fire. They have crappy wiring and cooling fans. Ballasts catch fire all the time from what i have read after doing some research. The phrase "if it seems to good to be true it probably is" comes to mind here.

jm thanks for the heads up. I think i will pass on this and just stick with the VHO's

I bought a MH/CF system from them over nine months ago. No problems yet. For the price I had a good expereince.

It says right on the page, Odyssea metal halide system (Version 4) comes with.....

JM said:
If u r planning on buying lighting from aquatrader do urself and ur house a favor and dont buy Odyssea lights. Search Odyssea lighting on google and u will read hundreds of horror stories about them catching fire. They have crappy wiring and cooling fans. Ballasts catch fire all the time from what i have read after doing some research. The phrase "if it seems to good to be true it probably is" comes to mind here.

I couldnt find any of those horror stories...could you post some links? Is this with the MH only, or with the T-5 and PC as well?

I bought t-5 lighting 6 months ago and have not had any problems, I recently bought 2 more 4 ft T-5 units but they havent been running a week yet. I would be interested in reading this.

:) I always miss stuff like that myself..have to read through things a half a dozen times..old age is catching me I think

Hmmm....Cheap MH=fire...T5=lower energy cost and no fire....
I'm sure it is luck of the draw with those lights I imagine many of them work just fine...But it may be a crap shoot...

I bought the Oddysea pc 4x65 for around $80+$20something shipping. Then while I was waiting for it to arrive I read a lot of those bad things about them.
Here’s my experience:
Slow slow shipping
Very loud rattling fans that do nothing but make noise- it still runs extra hot
The mounting legs came nowhere close to fitting my tank- so I set it in wood slats
The pwr chords pull out every time I move it(every week)
It was running for less than 2 months and 1 blue bulb burnt- now I’m replacing it(esp now that I read about the fire risk)
Only good thing is I did get a bunch of coralline algae growing with them
So I agree- too good 2b true
Jme hth
Mike

just to add, i received my t-5 lighting from ebay, very nice guy, fast shipping, and cheap (free shipping, hehe). its amazing the difference it made, but then again, i was running one of original fixtures that came with the tank and had gotten electrocuted a few times, so i had enough, LOL... anyways if interested i can give the link (just have to find it), hes very flexible and will find what you are looking for, at least thats what he did for me, hehe.

I have one of the 4x65 Odyssea units from aquatraders.

They were slow to ship, and very, very slow to answer questions.

Yeah, its hot, but probably not much hotter than any other 4x65.

There's just 4 screws to remove if I decide to put in a better set of cooling fans.

Its not the brightest for 4x65 PC lighting, but at $89 + $20 shipping, you can't touch anything else for that price. Heck, you can barely buy the bulbs for that price.

The built-in moonlights are nice.

The mounting legs are okay.

Two of these, at $180 + shipping, would give you 8x65w of light, or about 7 watts per gallon on my 75, enough for about any purpose, I'd think.

Back
Top Bottom