Has tragedy hit my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victor.m

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, this is something that is certainly boggling me..

As some of you know, I have 2 tanks - a 29g and my 14g Biocube. The 29g is getting along fine and flourishing, but there's been some fishy business (pun intended) going down in my Biocube.

I went on vacation for the past 3 weeks and left my tank under the care of my roommate, who is also adept at managing tanks and has his own freshwater planted and is the co-owner of the 29g. He was feeding my fish for me, did the scheduled water change, maintained top-offs, etc. I had my O. Clown in there as the only real fish livestock, and a few inverts.

Before I left, I had noticed that one of my snails had died. I thought to myself, well, that happens so it might not be a big deal. Maybe it got bullied by a hermit or something, so I thought nothing of it. To my surprise, while I was away, my roommate informed me that my Clown had died. Apparently he had been fine and happy the night before, and then the next day he was nowhere to be seen... I thought this to be strange, but maybe the inverts had already had their feast. My roommate later informed me that he had found the detached tail of the Clown..now, if he had been died off of a disease, I doubt his severed tail would be left in the tank, but I let it go.

Figuring that my tank could have contracted some kind of illness, I decided to leave it to be invert-only. Today I come back home to find my crab dead in the middle of the sand bed, one of his claws/arms pried off of his body, and he is laying there. dead.

This all seems too suspicious to me..my parameters are perfect, I just took readings:

Nitrates: < 10ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
pH: 8.0
SG: 1.024
Temp: 79 F

Aside from the low pH, natural in an early tank (3 months old), I see no signs of anything wrong with it. My SG is where it has always been, temp is stable. everything is fine. Is it possible that there is some kind of unwanted guest in my tank? I haven't added any new LR as of late,and the only new corals to go in were frags and I inspected them prior to dropping them in. Any ideas as to what might be killing off my tank?

As of right now all that is left is my corals(orange/green zoos, green sea mats, gsp), the peppermint shrimp, and the scarlet skunk, along with some random hermits and some astreas. I'm scared somethign might be in there killing all my critters, and would hate for more casualties :/

Are you sure the "crab" isn't a molt?
How long have you had the fish in the tank?
How often did your roommate feed and what?

Back
Top Bottom