Hatching brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got an Aquabreed 200 to hatch brine shrimp in my (empty) QT tank. The instructions inside are not very precise.

The hatchery came with decapsulated eggs, so I don't have to worry about draining off the shells. But what I want to know is how the size of newly hatched brine shrimp compares with the eggs. I started it up last night, but it doesn't seem like anything has changed.

I tried this many years ago when I was a little kid using a mayo jar and an airstone. Absolutely nothing happened, so I am hoping things work out better this time around.

The shrimp will be a bit larger than the eggs. They are also phototrophic. If you hold a small flashlight up to the side of the breeder, they will congregate close to the light. If I remember correctly, it take a couple of day to hatch them...been years since I raised any.

I could be behind the times but I thought decapsulated eggs were only viable for a few days. Were they packaged recently?

According to the bottle, the eggs are good until 07/04. But I am pretty sure they should be viable for more than a few days, since you can buy a bottle of Life A at the LFS.

I just bought some live brine at the LFS to see if my mandarin will eat them. I would like to keep the other fish from eating them though. I bought a cup of them and figured I just dump a few in after I have fed the rest of the tank and have turned the lights out for a bit.

Does this sound right?

If this works, I wll just buy some eggs and do my own.

The problem with using yeast to grow the shrimp is that they're pretty useless as a food source for marine fish. I would suggest feeding them a nutritious phytoplankton a few hours before feeding them to your fish.

Back
Top Bottom