Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been adding a lot of rock from the LFS lately, and there's always aiptasia's on them.

What I've found works miracles is concentrated lemon juice. Nail them in the stem with a couple CC's of that stuff, and they'll retract and never come back out.

I've killed a dozen or so in the last month with lemon juice, and never seen them come back or new ones appear (except on new rocks).

180G build thread

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Use the JJ and nuke those SOB before its too late, this method is 100% effective. using the Pep shrimp method is not 100%, some eat them and some don't. JJ will not hurt the tank, I use it all the time in my 125 to nuke Majano anemonies, I kill off 20-30 at a time with no effects. You don't want to directly get it in any corals or anwmonies because it could hurt them. It some gets on a coral just brush it off and it should be fine. Again aptasia are a PEST and if left in a tank can take over and sting corals.
Pulling off the aptasia IMO is not good either, I have read that doing this can help spread them? Not sure how true it is but why try it.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree that Joe`s juice is the way to go. I know when Brenden was here he would use boiling water with good results. What ever you do you need to get rid of them or you`ll be in trouble.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with everyone who is telling you to use the Joe's Juice. Aptasia really has no place in a reef tank if you want it to thrive. Sad as it may be, they really are as terrible as they say. Joe's Juice is a tried and true method that is completely safe when used correctly. Peppermint shrimp are a crap shoot and may or may not eat the aptasia. The only true consumer of them are specific butterfly fish and a small nudibranch called Berghia Verrucicornis (if you can find them). The butterfly fish are somewhat large (not sure on your tank size) and some are hard to get eating other foods. They will eat the aptasia and your feather duster worms, then may starve once the aptasia is gone. The nudibranch will eat nothing but the aptasia and will starve once they are gone.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com