Hatian Anemone Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveandsharon109

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a Hatian Anemone. I didnt do my research first, saw it in the pet store and thought it was really cool. I have a reef tank and in all of my reading, after the fact, says it is not right for a reef tank..figures! Anyone know how to stop it from going all over the tank? Info also says it can damage my other corals. I think it has hurt my feather duster already. Today, it moved areas again, and now looks a bit brown. Also looks like the tips of some tentacles are going to fall off. Any ideas??

With most anemones, once they find a happy spot they stop moving and settle in (bubbletips and the like), as long as their needs are met. I've never had a haitian, but per liveaquaria:
"The Haitian Reef Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals."

So it already sounds like they tend to be pretty walky - what kind of lighting do you have? Anemone's require intense lighting - if its not getting the right amount of light that could most certainly impact its coloration (and also explain why it will not stop moving at all)

Also, have you been feeding the thing?
"The diet should include feedings of fish, mussels, shrimp, or other foods of this type."

They are extremely cool, and I hate to tell you to get rid of your new pet, but it's definitely not a good one for a reef tank
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Haitian Reef Anemone

Back
Top Bottom