Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok ditched the airstone...so you guys really think i will be best off just having the live sand scattered fairly evenly across the entire substrate surface vs. a concentrated corner of flow? i still have not added the live sand, i am waiting for a salinity measurement as soon as i swing by the store to grab a few supplies...which leads me to my next question...

we have a just opened container of a bio enzyme, that is supposed to cycle new tanks quickly, along w/ several other products i will let you guys know of first before dosing anything into the tank. thanks again for your help so far, feeling confident about success, doing a lot of reading/research, so fingers crossed... i'd like to have some sort of organism in my tank w/ in 2-3weeks.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagger
I recommend a 65w 50/50 bulb for your application.
Even with the 12k 65W he already has? Wouldn't a 03 look better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjaMan28
we have a just opened container of a bio enzyme, that is supposed to cycle new tanks quickly
Those are a waste of time usually, I would just use lr or shrimp to cycle and it will take 4-6 weeks to do it right.

You will be looking for a nh3/no2 spike and once they reach 0 then do a 30% pwc every day until you get your no3 <10 ppm. Then you can add a clean up crew of snails/hermits and after another couple of weeks I'd add a fish to keep the bacteria going.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tecwzrd, By reading his first post I was under the impression Ganga has a single bulb 65w PC fixture. So my recommendation was to replace the ex. 12,000k with a 50/50 bulb. But Ganga also states he broke his actinic. So maybe he does have a 130w dual bulb fixture If thats the case then yes, I would run 1-10,000k and 1-actinic 03 instead of 2 50/50 bulbs, lol.

Ganga, I would not use the bio enzyme. If you're in a hurry, the only product that works help speed your cycle is Bio-spira. Most LFS don't carry it as it needs to be refrigerated. Also, when you add the sand, be prepared for a week-long sandstorm.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

NP Lagger, I was thinking the 12k and a 50/50 would still work but be kind of “white” and not show off the tank as well.

I did use refrigerated Bio-Spira that wasn’t expired and it still took 3-4 weeks before my nh3/no2 got down to 0. Some people have had success with this product but due to the short life cycle of the bacteria it contains and since there isn’t an nh3 source to keep it going even refrigerated I still doubt the radical claims that it can provide “instant bio-filtration” and is ready to go with fish.

Nothing like taking your time and doing a proper cycle IMO. Plus if using a qt tank you will have to wait anyways to add the fish so why rush using a “cycle accelerator” when the bacteria would slowly die off anyways due to a lack of nh3 in the tank?

Adding your sand through a 4” PVC pipe resting on the bottom and slowly moving as needed usually helps keep the sand storm down to a minimum.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 03-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

haha, i added the 2lbs live sand this morning, salinity is measuring close to 1.025, starting to creep down though and i added a little less than a gallon of treated freshwater, so it should be about where i want it to be soon.

I had one large dead crab in the live sand mix, and another small live one, kind of interesting, I am not sure the now live one will live 2 long!

Of course, i will take my time with this tank, and make sure everything is stable before adding anything else live. So you guys are telling me that another 65w blue actinic bulb is the best to have alongside of my 65w 12000k bulb? Also, I still have not figured out the best way to spread the live sand...thin over most, or maybe just 1/2 the tank?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Spread it over the whole sand bed evenly. I think you'll like the actinic bulb, they tend to enhance many of the colors in the aquarium and make a nice dawn and dusk too.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:04 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

If you have multiple plugs for each light putting the 03 on a timer from 8am to 9pm and the other 12k light on from 10am to 8pm would be nice to help simulate the dawn/noon/dusk lighting as well.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 03-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
NP Lagger, I was thinking the 12k and a 50/50 would still work but be kind of “white” and not show off the tank as well.

I did use refrigerated Bio-Spira that wasn’t expired and it still took 3-4 weeks before my nh3/no2 got down to 0. Some people have had success with this product but due to the short life cycle of the bacteria it contains and since there isn’t an nh3 source to keep it going even refrigerated I still doubt the radical claims that it can provide “instant bio-filtration” and is ready to go with fish.

Nothing like taking your time and doing a proper cycle IMO. Plus if using a qt tank you will have to wait anyways to add the fish so why rush using a “cycle accelerator” when the bacteria would slowly die off anyways due to a lack of nh3 in the tank?

Adding your sand through a 4” PVC pipe resting on the bottom and slowly moving as needed usually helps keep the sand storm down to a minimum.
Great advice with the PVC drain Tec. I hope thats how Ganga did it 8O

Regarding the Bio-Spira, I'm surprised it took so long for you to cycle. I've always had success using it in FW and SW. When I changed my substrate from gravel to sand I lost all of my established water. Funny story in that I originally put down play sand and filled back up with the established water I did save, but ended up tossing it all for a little bigger grained sand the same day. That night I added Bio-spira and added my fish and they're still all with me today! The only other time I've had to use it was for a small ammonia spike when a sick Coral Beauty died on me and couldn't get it out for around 3 days.

Ganga, yes, buy an actinic 03 bulb to complement your 12,000k. I would also spread the LS out evenly. Will probably look better that way.

Tags
die, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com