Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Have all ingredients, now setting up, gametime questions!

Hi all, I am in the current process of setting up my 20g saltwater tank (salt mixing, aeration, equillibrium-seeking stage )

*20lb Tidal Marina -- Gray Coast Calcite
*2lbs live sand -- Source: CaribSea Aragamax
***My question however is, how will the light and dark gray substrates mix? I am now planning to slope the Gray calicite to a peak of 2-3" difference to the left side, and then putting the 2lbs live sand in along the right side about 4-5" across and an inch or two deep. I will then manipulate the tank flow of water w/ my Regent 660 powerhead and topfin 20g HOB filter. I envision a flow of water going across the tank and over the live sand, and then back around through the bio-ball loaded HOB. Does this sound like an okay idea?

*Second, I have a Oddysea 65w Daylight 12000k, is this a good light for a saltwater tank?

My other main question is how long can i keep the live sand in the wet mix that is currently is in a bag from the shipper? I want to get all of the salt mixed and correctly measured to proper salinity before adding the live sand right ? Thanks for your time, any help would be great and I will check back later!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Welcome to AA

I’d place your Gray Coast Calcite on the bottom with ls spread out over top personally. You don’t have enough ls to fully cover anyways so it’s not that big of a deal but you just don’t want it below the other stuff.

I’d ditch the bio-balls and replace with lr rubble. The lights are fine for low to medium light corals.

You want to mix your salt/water for 24 hours to fully dissolve. You can either do that in a bucket/trashcan with a ph and add it to the tank or directly in the tank before adding sand.

Research is key to successful SW fish keeping and reading all the saltwater articles on this site and the articles on liveaquaria.com is an excellent way to get acquainted with all that’s required for this expensive hobby.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would just put your calcite sand on the bottom at equal depth, then layer the live sand on top of it all equally as well. It may not look great at first, but is your best option to mix them.

Your question about your light is tricky to answer. It will light your tank enough to see your fish, which is fine, but ultimately, your future tank goals will dictate what type of light you'll need. For example, if you are going reef, then no, it's way underpowered to keep many of the corals that do well in a captive environment. I think the light you are refering to is a NO fluorescent... you may want to consider a PC strip if you want to eventually keep some corals. PC light with around 4-5 watts per gal, will allow you to keep soft corals, and some LPS corals as well.

I would bring your SW up to temperature and at least float the bag in the new SW until you have it at the appropriate salinity.

Ryan
Old 03-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

tecwzrd beat me to the punch
Old 03-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

ryguy, I haven't seen NO lights in that wattage that would fit on a 20 gal tank. I think they are PC lights but it looks like 24” in the norm for that wattage.

That probably means that it’s a 20 (high) and not a 20 long. Low light corals would be fine IMO and even most moderate light corals should be ok with a height of 17”. Of course if you had the PC 130W lights it wouldn't even be an issue
Old 03-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm hoping you have read the article on the fishless cycle.. don't use some poor damselfish to cycle the tank.

welcome!

Have questions about satellite tv? Visit us at http://www.dbstalk.com
neilster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yes, i work at the only local pet store in kirksville missouri, and am a big time aquaria enthusiast, also a 3rd year comm major at truman st. university. anyways, thanks a ton for the input, have the bag floating in the tank now, temp stable at 78* w/ powerhead, HOB, and aerator, salt is visibly dissolved after 1/2cup per gallon. i will fishless cycling. i also have a 65w blue actinic bulb for the fixture, but it cracked. I can get a replacement bulb of 65w, what should i get taht will fit?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Is it a 24" light? Just make sure you buy the right size/type of 03 light that you have now. Then you would be at 130W and have a greater selection of corals to choose from down the road. Is your tank a 20 gal high?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tecwzrd.... I stand corrected. You're one of the good ones..... (not implying that there are any bad ones though).
Old 03-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjaMan28
yes, i work at the only local pet store in kirksville missouri, and am a big time aquaria enthusiast, also a 3rd year comm major at truman st. university. anyways, thanks a ton for the input, have the bag floating in the tank now, temp stable at 78* w/ powerhead, HOB, and aerator, salt is visibly dissolved after 1/2cup per gallon. i will fishless cycling. i also have a 65w blue actinic bulb for the fixture, but it cracked. I can get a replacement bulb of 65w, what should i get taht will fit?
Sounds like it's coming right along. After the salt mixes and the water clears be sure to check your SG. Shoot between 1.022-1.025. Regarding a replacement bulb, I recommend a 65w 50/50 bulb for your application.

A few questions though, by 'aerator' do you mean air stone? If so you can ditch, no need for it. Also, what are you floating in the bag?!?

Tags
die, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com