Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Have not done water change in long time and need help!

I have not changed the water in my 29 gallon tank in almost 6 months. i have recently had an outbreak of aptasia and purchased some peppermint shrimp. Within a few hours, 2/3 had died. I purchased them from a store that i always go to and trust, so my assumption is that it is because my water has very high nitrates. IfI do a 90%water change, will this allow me to get more shrimp, and take my aquarium back to normal? Please help me and tell me what I should do!

I currently have 2 clown fish, 2 damsels, 1 cleaner shrimp, and one anemone.

THANKS!!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think 90% all at once would be a bit of a shock. I'd do many frequent, but smaller, PWCs. Also, 2 clowns and 2 damsels seems like 4 agro fish in a small tank. I could be wrong, and if so, we'll all know about it soon enough LOL.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbill View Post
I think 90% all at once would be a bit of a shock. I'd do many frequent, but smaller, PWCs. Also, 2 clowns and 2 damsels seems like 4 agro fish in a small tank. I could be wrong, and if so, we'll all know about it soon enough LOL.

They have lived together for the last 6 months peacefully. First night was a little rough but they have been great since.

How often per week would you suggest, and would you think 20% water changes would be enough?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Old 08-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

20% weekly is about the recommended amount everyone should do. If you have 2 or 3 5g buckets, I'd think 5g of cured water every other day until you zero out wouldn't be excessive.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbill View Post
20% weekly is about the recommended amount everyone should do. If you have 2 or 3 5g buckets, I'd think 5g of cured water every other day until you zero out wouldn't be excessive.

Zero out on nitrates, correct? How long does it usually take? I'm wanting to get new shrimp ASAP to get rid of all of the aptasia

Old 08-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Use aiptasia x or joe's juice. Peppermint shrimp are a hit or miss on eating aiptasia.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaljonf View Post
Use aiptasia x or joe's juice. Peppermint shrimp are a hit or miss on eating aiptasia.

I attempted aiptasia x. Used 2 bottles within around 2 weeks. Grew faster than I could get rid of it.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If it were me, I would do a few 50% changes every other day. After 6 months you probably have an obscene nitrate reading. lol

Juts be sure to temp match the water and match the salinity. I regularly do 50% changes with no ill effects.

Not only would it be a great idea to get those nitrates down for the shrimp but also for the anemone. I am shocked it has lasted this long.

But good luck, and get to those water changes! A 29g is eezy peezy to do a change on, try having to do changes on 180g, then I could see why you were slacking. lol But seriously, get them done, your tank will thank you.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I doubt it's nitrates killing the shrimp if the nems still alive, they are far more sensitive.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If its a condy nem that could explain it. Those guys are pretty indestructible. lol

But I would def think its the trates killing shrimp. that or they werent acclimated well.
Either way, after 6 months some water changes are def needed.

Tags
ate, change, long, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com