Have sheetrock damage behind tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_tee0419

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of converting from Freshwater to saltwater, but a friend told me that the sheetrock behind his SW tank ruined, and that his door knobs rusted. Do any of you have similar side effects, or methods of prevention? Thanks in advance.

Or for that matter, does anyone NOT have this problem? I am trying to make a judgement on whether this is common or not.

i have no problem with my sw tank, i have kept the tank for a year and couple of months and no problem to my wall, i guess your friend is not covering his tank where the water could splash all over and get thing salty. if you are to start sw tank make sure you have a lid and keep the salt clear around the tank and you will be rust free.

On my first tank, I used HOB filters. I tried a few over the years and some would cause deposits on the wall behind it. Others did not. I used to put a piece of clear plastic on the wall behind the tank. Never had issues after that. When I moved last, my tank had been in the same spot for 5 years. No problems there.

This was a 38 gal though. No monster tank experience.

years ago i had a similar problem in an apt. but now that i removed the venturi from the ph no more problem. Also in the new house i painted behind the tank with good quality bathroom, kitchen paint. for easy clean up. What happened was the salt creep was allowed to accumulate on the wall. with a regular cleaning no problems

Back
Top Bottom