Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
have you been attacked by a lionfish

I was just wondering, when I go to clean my tank will my lion attack? And has anyone been stung by one before?

Michellej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
they usually do not aggressively "attack", you are more likely to be stung by accident rather than intent.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ours stayed at the extreme other end while I cleaned the tank. I was actually stupid enough to reach near it once and got bumped but apparently not every spine is poisonous. They are very timid creatures.
Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
we had a dwarf lionfish and he would eat out of our hand. Never had a problem with him and was never scared to put my hand in the tank. you just have to know where he is and don't forget that you could accidently hit him and startle them enough that you might get stung.

Our's only lived about 6 months, the only thing he would eat was krill and then one day he wouldn't eat anything, we lost him not long after that.

Now a bigger or normal lionfish...my brother had one, and one of his tangs startler the lionfish one day and the lionfish stung him...it killed the tang and then the poison got in the tank and it killed all of his fish, except for the lionfish, of course. too much risk for me. HTH
Billy & Mary

155 Bow front Reef tank w/
60 gal sump w/ refruguim, 20# of live rock, and protein skimmer and pump
200+ of Live Rock, with a 5-6 in sand bed.
3 Pendent Lights w/ 250K each
wave machine w/ 6 power head

2 P. Clowns, 1 Tomini Bristletooth Tang, 4 Shrimps, 4 emenaral crabs & lots of other snails & hermit crabs
Walpurgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a dwarf and while its not aggressive, it is a curious fish. And, it's always hungry so it does come looking for food when I mess in the tank. These work well. http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquagloves.html
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Lions are quite docile. They won't attack you, but I have heard in magazines that they do. My personal experience is they stay away from you, but will watch you.

I've never been stung, but have come close. Just keep an eye out for it.
29g FOWLR- 2 Percula Clowns
2 Emerald Mithrax Crab, 5 Nassarius Snails, 3 Astrea Snails, 1 mexican turbo snails, 1 Chocolate Chip Star, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, and 27lbs of LR 2lbs tonga branch and 25lbs fiji rock

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I'd have another keep an eye on it while you're engaged in your cleaning.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Got nailed (by bumping accidentally) on the side of my hand by a larger volitan a few years back....stung and burned pretty miserably, but you can break down the venom by immersing the stung part in as hot water as you can stand for 20 minutes or so.
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
Okay......I am going to buy those gloves I dont want to get stung.
Michellej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to ogden10
Lion fish are not really aggressive by nature. The other thing to remember is that the spines are essentially like hypodermic needles. You have to get stuck by one on the tip to have any venom injected. It would be like trying to get a shot by grabbing the side of a needle. I have known a few guys who have gotten stung, and all of them in the same way. Lions like to hang out in strange places, under rocks upside down, filters, and so on. Everyone of these guys grabbed a rock to move it not knowing what was under it, and essentially stung themselves. If you just stay aware of where the fish is, and make sure it does not get to close thinking you are feeding. ( I normally push mine away with a feeding stick before I start moving rocks, and then she never comes back once she sees my hand in the tank)

Now my puffer on the other hand.....that devil has bit me like 5 times. I swear I can see her laughing everytime.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
ogden10 is offline   Reply With Quote

attacked, lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com