have you been attacked by a lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michellej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering, when I go to clean my tank will my lion attack? And has anyone been stung by one before?

they usually do not aggressively "attack", you are more likely to be stung by accident rather than intent.

Ours stayed at the extreme other end while I cleaned the tank. I was actually stupid enough to reach near it once and got bumped but apparently not every spine is poisonous. They are very timid creatures.

we had a dwarf lionfish and he would eat out of our hand. Never had a problem with him and was never scared to put my hand in the tank. you just have to know where he is and don't forget that you could accidently hit him and startle them enough that you might get stung.

Our's only lived about 6 months, the only thing he would eat was krill and then one day he wouldn't eat anything, we lost him not long after that.

Now a bigger or normal lionfish...my brother had one, and one of his tangs startler the lionfish one day and the lionfish stung him...it killed the tang and then the poison got in the tank and it killed all of his fish, except for the lionfish, of course. too much risk for me. HTH

Lions are quite docile. They won't attack you, but I have heard in magazines that they do. My personal experience is they stay away from you, but will watch you.

I've never been stung, but have come close. Just keep an eye out for it.

Got nailed (by bumping accidentally) on the side of my hand by a larger volitan a few years back....stung and burned pretty miserably, but you can break down the venom by immersing the stung part in as hot water as you can stand for 20 minutes or so.

Lion fish are not really aggressive by nature. The other thing to remember is that the spines are essentially like hypodermic needles. You have to get stuck by one on the tip to have any venom injected. It would be like trying to get a shot by grabbing the side of a needle. I have known a few guys who have gotten stung, and all of them in the same way. Lions like to hang out in strange places, under rocks upside down, filters, and so on. Everyone of these guys grabbed a rock to move it not knowing what was under it, and essentially stung themselves. If you just stay aware of where the fish is, and make sure it does not get to close thinking you are feeding. ( I normally push mine away with a feeding stick before I start moving rocks, and then she never comes back once she sees my hand in the tank)

Now my puffer on the other hand.....that devil has bit me like 5 times. I swear I can see her laughing everytime. :twisted:

If you DO get stung, what effects can you anticipate? Is it just uncomfortable, or are we talking a trip to an emergency room?

--Aquabear

No trip to the emergency room. It's just supposed to be like a bee sting except its a little more painful.

If you get stung run you hand or arm under the hottest water you can stand for 20-30 minutes. When I was stung I did this and it does help plus it eases the pain, it does hurt to get stung & everyone tolerates pain different.

I was feeding, have 3 Volitans in my tank, I went to give my pinktail a piece of food, looked away when someone said some thing to me & BAM. I put my hand right on a lion.....lol It was my own fault!

Kaye

Back
Top Bottom