Well, title pretty much says it all. I've been really
busy at work this summer, so the maintenance on the 28 nano seriously suffered. On top of that, I got an infestation of these tiny little black snails that I couldn't get rid of for the life of me..... no matter how many I picked out, they were back in force within a week. I think their quick life cycle just overwhelmed my system, because it didn't matter how many water changes I did, I couldn't get the parameters in check. So, I went and did the next best thing...... I finally got some time & broke down and built a full sump system in the basement to recover what I could.
The bottom tank is a 55 split into 2 chambers, the top right is a 29 which is the remote refugium (chaeto & maybe some mangroves coming soon), and the top left (custom 25g wide I picked up used) is my "recovery" tank.... later to be the frag tank. Once this is established & I get the 28 cleaned out properly, I'll drill it & tie it into this system. I know it's awfully big for just running a 28 nano
, but my end-game was to build it big enough to eventually run my 150 I have sitting in the basement, hence the extra shelf room to the right of the 55..... I can drain it, slide it out, and drill it for a larger external pump at a later time.
Surprisingly, when I started tearing into the 28, I actually had a lot more clinging to life than I expected. I did lose some nice pieces of coral, but I think most will make a nice recovery.