Having A SW Tank While In A WheelChair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WheelChairDude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone this is my first post but have been reading the forums for about 2 months. I have Osteogenisis Imperfecta(Bridde Bone disseise) which restricts me to a wheelchair. I have been thinking about starting a FOWLR tank for two years now. My question is have you ever heard about anyone in a wheelchair being able to run a SW Tank. If so how did they do it?

P.S. I already have a 30 gal freshwater tank.

Filip :)

The only limitation I see is that sometime you`ll have to stand up to reach in your tank for certain purposes. You can get anyone to do that. I surely dont see why you could not have one. Get a friend and both of you take care of it

once you get it up and going you`ll have to let it cycle. This website under articles has many good ideas. My number one piece of advice is BE Patient. All good things will come to those that patient. Good Luck

you might want to investigate some automation to your setup.. just a thought..
Im not sure what your budget is but automation can really cut down on hands on maitaince, it would be more of a checking up on things to make sure its working properly.. there are alot of good ideas out there..
automaited to semi-automated water changeing systems...
auto topoff..
and the list goes on..
good luck (y)

Greenmaji's suggestion is a good one... and it doesn't have to be expensive. Set-up a sump under your tank where you can place the thermometer, heater, skimmer, etc. That way it will be easy to access the equipment from your wheelchair. If there is enough room, you can also hang a Kent Aquadose above it to automate your top-off. By placing items low at the sump, it will minimize the number of times that you have to get up higher to the display tank. To get good ideas on setting up a sump, go to "search" and type in sump set-up.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't have too much money too spend. As it is I am trying to find a used tank in the Rochester MN to save some money.

Filip 8)

Just build it as low to the ground as possible. Make the stand real short. That should help quite a bit. I think a nano cube would be PERFECT for you.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I see no problems or limitations for you in starting a SW tank. One LFS I go to has an employee in a W/C and she has both FW and a reef tank. Just design your tank around your specific needs. Buuild it so it have easy access and bring a friend in on the project. Good luck!

BTW...I was in Rochester a couple of weeks ago on business. Beautiful city! I was amazed at the cleanliness of downtown.

Welcome to AA!

Lando, just a suggestion: do you think the lfs employee to which you referred may have some ideas or tips re: setup and layout?

I have actualy asked her about this. Her tanks are low so she can feed on her own. She does rely on friends from the LFS to help with maintanance.

Back
Top Bottom