Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to reefmaster
Hawkfish ignoring my anemone

My anemone just moved to a different spot due to a new powerhead in my 30 gallon. My anemone moved near one of my hawkfish's favorite perching spot. The hawkfishes tail is in the anemone and he moves it around alittle, but it doesnt seem to bother him. My anemone is white, not sure what kind it is. i think its a seabe. Is this normal?

reefmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well...if the anemone bothers the hawkfish, he'd move unless there's a source of force pushing him into it. An interesting documentary on National Geographic or Discovery channel about reefs explained that the clown fish behavior with anemones have also been seen in other reef fish such as hawks (gobies too). So, even though bizarre to our nature of what we know, evidently this behavior is spreading among other reef fish. This kind of proves the symbiotic relations between clowns and anemones are being leanred by other fish and taken advantage of. So your question "Is this normal?" really doesn't have an answer other than it's been discovered it's a new behavior among other reef fish besides clowns. Guess it depends if the hawkfish you have has ever seen and practiced such behavior.

We, as a people, know so much more about outer space than we do about our own oceans. This lack of knowledge can very well spell the dangers that lay in wait for us.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
The hawkfish probably just learned that having it by his territory keep sother fish or inverts away so he doesn't have to worry a whole lot.

Also like tct said, it's been seen in many fish. Damsels when very young have even been known to live in anemones like clownfish.
I'm tired of getting pointless messages. If your going to start a conversation or ask me something, keep up with it.
flamingonhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have this problem with my Hippo Tang and my green BTA. The hippo will swim right past and hover around it even touching it. It does it all the time. I used to get freaked out thinking the anemone was going to kill the hippo but I dont even think about it anymore. It also steals the food from the anemone during feeding time.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to ferretttt Send a message via Yahoo to ferretttt
My hawkfish has favorite perches and one is near my large Condi. Never seems to care much about it
Eric "FerretBoy" T
ferretttt is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com